Anyone have a Newfoundland Dog?

• Gold Top Dog

Anyone have a Newfoundland Dog?

Any one out there have a Newfy?  I am thinking of getting one and had some questions about them.
    • Bronze
    Hi, I have a Golden, but one of my closest friends has 2 Newfs and has shown then in the past.  She is out of town for a few days, I will pass along the info for this forum for you, or I can ask what you would like to know.

She has had Newfs for years.

Edited to say also that she has worked with Newfie rescue in the southeast and placed many rescues in wonderful homes.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I just wanted to ask general question such as how much do they generally eat in a day.  Do they prefer to be outdoors, I do not agree with STRICTLY outdoor dogs however, if they prefer to be outdoors that is different.  How are they with children, what is their general temperment?  I can research online (which I have) but I would prefer to hear it from a Newfy owner.
    • Bronze
    I know that she has told me that you have to be careful when they are outdoors, because they can become overheated and get heat exhaustion in about 15 min. if it is hot.  Hers are absolutely inside dogs.

She has grandchildren that are around them a lot and they do fine with the kids.

They do blow their coats twice a year and that is a lot of fur....hers are stunningly beautiful.

She has shared pics and stories with me about some of the rescues that she has participated in.

People don't realize just how big these beautiful creatures get and then just end up mistreating them in unbelievable ways because they are very time consuming.

I am not sure about the amount they eat.  I will find out for you when she returns.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thank you for looking into it for me!
    I cannot believe that anyone would abuse any animal.  I worked in an animal shelter for a while and it is terrible the neglect you see.  How could anyone???

• Gold Top Dog
    They usually eat about about 6 to 8 cups of dry feed a day.  It really depends upon how active they are.  If you take them out for a long walk every day count it towards the 8 cup range.  They're pretty content to laze around, though. 

[size="1"]*edited for font

[/size]
    • Puppy

They are one of my favorite breeds, loyal, fun and affectionate.. But if you  or your family friends or other company DONT like large dogs , hair, slober and a  game of ball or tug a war this breed is NOT for you. They do come (Dry Mouth) but still slober after water around food or hot weather.

• Silver

The amount they eat will also depend on what you feed. If you feed a cheap kibble full of crappy fillers you will feed a ton of food and they will also poop a ton. If you feed a high quality food with less or no fillers, they will eat much less and poop much less. When I fed my 120lbs Saint Bernard a low quality kibble she was eating 8 scoops per day (bigger than an 8oz measuring cup). Since I switched her to higher quality foods she only eats 1.5 to 2 scoops per day. They will slobber no matter what. They have big jowls and that always equals slobber. They have a thick coat and need to be brushed regularly. They are not necessarily an easy dog to care for. You also need to train them well at a young age (well, any breed), but especially because they will mature to a giant size. It is good you are doing research before hand. A lot of people don't and just end up throwing the dogs away.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, I have met some great Newfs in my day. The best advice I can give you is find a breeder or a dog show that you can go to and ask questions and meet and be around them. Even if you go the rescue route at least you'll have talked to people who live with them and know the breed inside and out. If you need help finding a show in your area let me know. Good luck and thanks for getting information before you invest in a life :)

• Bronze

Yes i have it looks like as described below:

My Newfoundland dog is a large working dog. They can be either black, brown, or white-and-black. However, in the Dominion of Newfoundland, before it became part of the confederation of Canada, only black and Landseer coloured dogs were considered to be proper members of the breed

• Puppy

The Newfoundland is an affectionate and gentle dog breed that makes a delightful companion. These versatile dogs have a natural instinct to protect and assist people, making them wonderful service dogs and family pets. Typically, this breed gets along very well with children but a Newfie may not realize its size. guys check out this site- https://www.pridemypet.com/