Puppy pees only a tiny bit very often.

• Silver

Puppy pees only a tiny bit very often.

She woke up from her first nap in her crate an hour ago (her very first day at my house- got her from the humane society today. )

I took her out right away- and she wanted to come in. I don't blame her- it's freezing cold and this is probably her first time seeing snow (and her feet must get cold). But she wouldn't pee, and throws the biggest fit (barking whining yanking on the leash) to go inside. After 10 minutes of struggling, I let her back in and within seconds, she goes and tries to pee in a corner. I try to stop her right as she's squatting down, quickly grab her leash and take her outside... but she won't go. Just sits by my feet and looks around before throwing a hissy fit again. I wait 10 minutes or so, again, and take her in. She's ok for maybe 5  minutes while I'm getting myself something to eat really quick (I use a baby gate to keep her in one room)... come back to see her finishing peeing. It's just a tiny little bit. Since I didn't actually catch her doing it, I sigh and let it pass. I try to play with her, and it works for a second, then she goes back to sniffing around.

I can't let her roam around by herself- she sniffs and tries to pee as soon as I set her down. I can only assume she just goes as SOON as she feels the urge, cause it's always a tiny tiny bit each.  I've taken her out about 8 times trying to write this post. I put her in the crate, but I don't want her to think it's punishment.. even though it kind of is.. I just need 2 seconds of peace.

Now I am sitting outside cause she throws such a fuss in the crate I feel horrible.. the's biting the bars, and I don't want her to think it's a bad thing, so I took her out. Sitting outside with her leash on my arm since that's the only thing I can really do to let me be able to post this.

Help? She's 2 months old- and sorry if this post is scattered- took me over an hour to write it cause of my baby girl. My other dog (now 8 years old) was never like this as a puppy. I'm pulling my hair out @_@
    • Gold Top Dog
    I just wanted to say that I totally empathize with you. I am pulling my hair out right now too! I have a 10 week old puppy, a 10 month old pup and a 1 1/2 yr old dog. The puppy barks if I am out of his sight and he is VERY loud as he is a German SHorthaired Pointer. Plus, they are still getting used to one another so they get angry with each other about sharing toys, etc....and then there is just the whole factor of housebreaking....between the new guy and my 10 month old who hasnt gotten it yet....I am basically taking someone out all the time. UGH. And my husband is in Atlanta as we are moving there and he is already working out there, so I am stuck here..alone. UGH.
    • Gold Top Dog
    butterfly7311
    Don't let it get you down.
    I have an almost 14 year old, a 7 year old, a 2 year old, a 10 months old, and an almost 4 months old........

I invested some serious crate training time on the younger ones, and things are running fairly smooth.[;)
    • Silver
    Wow! THREE dogs?? TWO unhousebroken puppies?

*salutes* Good luck to you! I hope things get better, I'd probably die if I was in that situation.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hmmmm, I foster whole LITTERS of litter ones!  [&:]

You are dealing with a very young pup who has no idea where you want her to toilet....and sorry, but everytime you bring her inside without pottying you reinforce that it's OK to  not pee outside...and the alternative is inside.....

There are some pretty predicatable times when pups need to go...when they wake up, right after eating or drinking, after play...and even a couple minutes of playing is enough for the bladder to feel full to bursting.  These are the times you need to get her outside and WAIT for her to go.  I use "Lets go OUTSIDE and go POTTY" once out  "go potty" and then a huge celebration and tons of praise for "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD potty".  I also do the scoop and run when I see a squat.  "Uhuh, we go OUTSIDE to go potty", snatch the pup up in a towel and literally run him/her outside and say "OUTSIDE is where we go POTTY". 

Ever single inside mistake reinforces that it's ok to potty inside so you have to be eagle eyed and fast, but still gentle and extremely consistent.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Get a pie pan and a urine sample.  May be a bladder infection, been there done that.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree, you should have your vet clear this girl for a UTI before you conclude it's a housetraining problem.  Frequent small amounts of urination is a classic UTI symptom. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree.  Tiny amounts of pee and too often says UTI to me.
    Best to get it checked at the vet.  As mrv said, you can just collect a sample and get it tested.  Don't wait - UTI's can hurt, even if the dog doesn't whine or look unhappy.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree with the above re: UTI symptoms, but if it isn't the case, increase your outside stay to 20 mins.  In fact, how about stay outside until the little bugger goes pee out there!  My pup doesn't like going outside either because it's cold and he's skinny and shakes in the wind.  I feel like an abuser, but I know the facts...the dog has to learn to pee outside.  Let the dog pull a temper trantrum.  You're the boss!  Just bring her to different patches of grass so she starts catching scents and sniffing around.  She'll get distracted easily.  EVENTUALLY she'll have to pee outside and when she does, let the party begin! 
    Also your puppy is 8 wks.  That's soooooooo young.  It takes time and an insane amount of vigilance to housebreak a dog, so you'll have accidents for awhile - no one can catch  EVERY single accident before it happens.  At 8 wks she's got a super tiny bladder so you'll have to take her out (like someone else mentioned) after every meal until she pees, after playing, until she pees, and after a nap, until she pees. 
    And you're using the crate for the right reasons.  Any time you can't give the puppy your WHOLE attention, you crate her.  That way she doesn't pee all over your carpet, chew all your furniture, or get hurt.  The crate also encourages her to begin holding her bladder, since ideally, she won't pee where she sits/sleeps.