10 month old German Shepherd chewing everything!

[$provider]
    • Bronze

10 month old German Shepherd chewing everything!

Our German Shepherd had finally started to calm down and had stopped chewing everything in sight. We had started commenting on how nice it is to have such a well behaved dog, listening to commands, etc. However, in the last few days, she has become very destructive! She has chewed up shoes, rugs, chairs, anything she get her hands on! It's very frustrating. Is it possible she is teething again? We recently took her on her first vacation to our cabin and it seems it started shortly after we returned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    • Gold Top Dog

At about this age, the teeth settle into the jaw so yes, basically they ARE teething again, just not adding any teeth.  Now is when she needs lots of really good chew things.  And, you do the very same thing that you did the first time around.....you tell her that whatever shes chewing on isn't hers and replace it with what she CAN chew on.  I'd hope that by now you've taught a solid "leave it" and if you have that will make things much easier for you!

Remember, this too shall pass.

• Gold Top Dog

She's also a "teenager" -- and just like humans, they go thru a teenager phase.  Just because she "got" something yesterday doesn't mean that today's angst won't over-ride sense and she won't start chewing inappropriately AGAIN.

They actually "teethe" until they are almost 2 -- teeth grow and additional teeth come in.  And the mouth is sore and and and and and ....

Have you taught her to like a nylabone?  The really tough "durable" ones (it literally has the word "durable" in the title of it -- it's NOT one of the soft rubbery ones that they bite chunks off of

Even at 4 my pug will sometimes go get a nylabone because ... well, she would tell you she NEEDS IT!!!  There are just times when you GOTTA chew and rather than chew something bad you go gits yur nylabone!!!

• Gold Top Dog

Puppy German Shepherd chewing everything?  Yep, sounds about right!  I highly recommend beef marrow bones.

• Gold Top Dog
    ummm .... gee, like you **might** just be the leading authority I know on german shepherd puppies who chew stuff?  *grin*  Somehow you have just ... gee ... a WEE tiny bit of experience!!
    • Gold Top Dog

If she gets a shoe, or something that should have been put away, when you get it, take what remains of it, find the owner and smack the owner with it three times while saying "you didn't put away your (blank)."

But really, if it's something she can pick up and take, put it away. Obviously, you can't put away things like the rug or the chair, but keep those other things out of reach, keep lots of other things in reach like has been suggested. There are also sprays, bitter apple or bitter yuck, that are supposed to make things taste bad. I've found them to be rather hit or miss. I had one dog who didn't care about them, and even seemed to like chewing up something that was sprayed even better than stuff that hadn't been sprayed. Others only have to taste it on a particular surface once in order to never touch it again. You still have to provide appropriate things to chew, because she'll still need something to chew.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs
    ummm .... gee, like you **might** just be the leading authority I know on german shepherd puppies who chew stuff?  *grin*  Somehow you have just ... gee ... a WEE tiny bit of experience!!

I had another one of those "what the HECK did Pan eat!?!?" moments the other day while scooping poop in the yard!  My GSDs have chewed, shredded, or actually consumed countless socks and underwear, any sort of plush or stuffy toy, tennis balls, Cuz', rocks, leash, memory card, headphones, vacuum cord, corner of rugs, dog bedding, many shoes, many photo albums, a candle (which Nikon pooped out a perfect turd-shaped candle complete with a wick!), Wiimote, CDs....and for your entertainment some of the more interesting items include: DH's W2s (not cool!), the first dog magazine that published several of my dog photos (grrrr!), and there was a group effort shredding our home inspection report (home inspection cost $400!).  I actually have an album on my Flickr account called "Before you get a puppy..." and it has photos of all the damage.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

calliecritturs

I had another one of those "what the HECK did Pan eat!?!?" moments the other day while scooping poop in the yard!  My GSDs have chewed, shredded, or actually consumed countless socks and underwear, any sort of plush or stuffy toy, tennis balls, Cuz', rocks, leash, memory card, headphones, vacuum cord, corner of rugs, dog bedding, many shoes, many photo albums, a candle (which Nikon pooped out a perfect turd-shaped candle complete with a wick!), Wiimote, CDs....and for your entertainment some of the more interesting items include: DH's W2s (not cool!), the first dog magazine that published several of my dog photos (grrrr!), and there was a group effort shredding our home inspection report (home inspection cost $400!).  I actually have an album on my Flickr account called "Before you get a puppy..." and it has photos of all the damage.

My heart dog, my pittie mix Max, was an eater of everything (and he eventually ate something he didn't pass, and this is why he is no longer with me). He ate underwear, he ate a 6ft leather leash- he actually ingested 6ft of leather. My bedroom door has a large missing chunk, and my mattress had chunks from all 4 corners (he liked the top corner, and I kept turning it away from him). I had so many shorts with chewed out pockets (because he knew where to check for the leftover food) and a few jackets missing pockets. One of my keen sandals is missing the elastic due to someone else. Luckily now, we don't have anyone who tends to ingest the chewed up items, they just leave the stuff laying around.

• Gold Top Dog

One of the really GOOD things about dog chewing is that it teaches the people to put stuff away!  LOL.

Thor and Sheba ate DH's NEW wallhugger, ez boy recliner, then proceeded on to the 8 foot pillow back sofa....it was the pillow back they devoured.  That at least I could save by reupholstering it.  The recliner went to the great junkyard in the sky.