Socializing a puppy mill dog

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Socializing a puppy mill dog

Good info for just about every dog in general, but specifically for adult dogs that have not had proper socialization

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/socialization-adult-puppy-mill-dogs

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

nice link Julie thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

thanks for the link! I floated around the site and actually came up with some new things to try on my dog's walks.

• Bronze

My daughter 's puppy mill yorkie is getting more aloof and isolated as time goes by. It's been 3 months now since she came and seems to be reverting backwards. At this stage, is there any training that can be safely done. Tip toeing around her doesn't seem to be working. Can't find info in the links, but it's good material anyway.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, small steps are the key. The more you baby the dog the more you enable them. I have worked with fearful dogs for years. Boring is good, start small get her around people but don't let her really interact, slowly introduce people, BUT no direct eye contact or petting, have the offer her a treat and walk away, have friends hang out and ignore her but offer treats, little by little she will get better, patience is the key.  Don't rush it. the worst thing is to have people trying to be her friend and pushing the issue that will only make it worse. Lots of walks and training can help too. Training and learning things means she'll get praise when she does good things and that helps build confidence. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Keep me posted.