Need ideas to block a window

• Gold Top Dog

Need ideas to block a window

Mason's exercise pen that he stays in during the day has a floor-level window that is inside the enclosure (DH built the pen, so I can't just "move" it elsewhere).  When he looks out and sees anything, person or animal, no matter how far away, he barks.  (imagine that; a Shepherd that barks when he thinks something is approaching?![sm=eek.gif])

I do not have a problem with this because I feel that it he is just being protective and doing his job.  The rest of the family that has to live with me however, cannot stand it.  My FIL is very ill and both he and my MIL are at home all day.  She said that he barked the entire day yesterday - we're assuming because our neighbor (about an acre and a half away) was chopping wood out back and Mason could both see and hear him. 

I can't close the blinds, because he is still an adolescent and will EAT THEM!  The wall is concrete, so hanging something over the window is not really an option, especially not fabric, he would just pull it down.

Also, if  my in-law's female lab is outside and she walks by his window, he will jump on the window, barking like a mad-dog when he sees her.  (I have to keep them seperated)  So, I also want to block his view to protect him from himself getting all crazed and heaven forbid break the window[:o].

Any suggestions on how to block his view and do you think that is the solution?
    I can't really work with him on it because 1)I'm usually not home when it happens 2) If I'm upstairs and he starts barking, I don't want to go to him while he's barking because that may reward it.

The window is about 2 feet off the ground and about 6 feet tall by about 4 feet wide.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Is there anything that could go on the outside of the window?

Or what about that sticky "fake stained glass" stuff - as long as it's removeable so it's not there forever.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Like that fake frosted glass stuff that you stick on the window like wallpaper? 
    That might work[8|]  I'll have to measure and start googling for it I guess.  
    My grandmother used to use that stuff on her bathroom window to make sure there were no peepers! [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes that's the stuff!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Please note when you pick out the pattern:  some go installed on the inside of the window, and some on the outside of the window.  That might or might not make a difference to you. 

I've never actually used this product - I did buy some to apply, but, ummmm, it's not actually on the window yet. [&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Can you include a pic? that would be the best to see what you can use and where to put it
    • Gold Top Dog
    There is this film one can buy at Home Depot, it is actually very pretty and one can install it on the inside.
    We did that on the windows of a second building, and one can not see inside, but at this point the fence is all the way around it.

It's easy to apply, and just as easy to take off.[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Maybe you could acclimate him to a "calming cap" (www.premierpet.com)  Or, some lattice work outside?
    His behavior may not bother you, but Google on "territorial aggression" and "barrier aggression" for a perspective on why it isn't necessarily a good idea to allow a dog to fence fight, or bark at the window constantly.

• Gold Top Dog
    I just tape black construction paper to windows I don't want Sammy to jump on so he can look out...... easy, cheap and it works.  Not the best aesthetically, but hey, I don't care.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: spiritdogs
    Maybe you could acclimate him to a "calming cap" (www.premierpet.com)  Or, some lattice work outside?
    His behavior may not bother you, but Google on "territorial aggression" and "barrier aggression" for a perspective on why it isn't necessarily a good idea to allow a dog to fence fight, or bark at the window constantly.

I did some research on territorial and barrier aggression. I think he exhibits a bit of this when he is outside alone (fence running/barking), even when only out for short periods of time (like 10 minutes, sometimes less).  That was the reason I cannot leave him outside alone anymore; if I can't go out to "play" with him, then I wait at the door until he's done his business and bring him back inside.  I also took your advice from a previous post and ordered "Fiesty Fido".  Thank you for the suggestion; it has been a gem!  Even though Mason isn't "aggressive" persay, there is a ton of helpful insight and methods to work through some of his unwanted behavior and reaction to other dogs.  We use "watch" whenever I see him get distracted (we still have a lot of proofing to do for his release) and we recently completed a basic obedience class with about 10 other dogs and he can now walk right by another dog on leash and he may "look", but no more lunging or barking!

The barking at the window is not "constant"; he sleeps in his exercise pen throughout the night with zero barking until 5:50 am (which is when he is let outside and fed) - so he lets me know if I'm running late!  I'm not sure how much barking is too much, but I truly feel that there is usually a reason for the barking (such as the neighbor that was outside chopping wood the day that my in-laws complained).  I would like to give the window film or maybe blocking the window from the other side a try before resorting to a calming cap.  Have you ever used one of these yourself?  It just seems that it would introduce even more stress for him to wear that thing for 8 hours while I'm not at home.  He seems to be quieter when he is crated (can't see out the window from his crate); so maybe I'll have to go back to crating during the work day if the window blocking doesn't help.

Thanks again for your reading recommendations; my bedside table is now lined with 5 of them!  My next purchase will be "Scaredy Dog"  for my Shih Tzu that seems uncertain of many things and urinates on the grooming table and yesterday at the vet.  He and I are begining basic obedience next Wednesday, so hopefully it will help him.