Grape Seed Oil, Is it dangerous?

• Gold Top Dog

Grape Seed Oil, Is it dangerous?

Grapeseed oil came up in the older dogs thread and I was hoping that someone could offer some info.

I know that grapes are bad, but grape seed oild is in a lot of foods, and supplements for dogs. What is the difference, and is it a bad ingredient?
    Thanks!!!!!![:o]
    • Bronze
    ORIGINAL: lazlowe1

I know that grapes are bad, but grape seed oild is in a lot of foods, and supplements for dogs. What is the difference, and is it a bad ingredient?

There are no indications that grapeseed oil presents any danger to dogs. If you recall, the reason why grapes (and raisins) were declared dangerous was that dogs died after eating certain quantities of the fruit. No such reactions to grapeseed extract or oil have been reported.

Right now, the thinking is that the skin of the grapes (and raisins) poses the danger, and pesticides used when the fruits are grown are a possible culprit. None of that applies to grapeseed extract or oil.

http://www.paw-pals.org/articles/article/2771153/42620.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dear Dr. Jane:  I saw that your dog food contains grapeseed extract.  However, I also know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. How does that work?
    Dr. Jane's Answer:  The grapeseed is the seed of the grape, obviously. The company we use, and thus the name Activin, was selected because of their quality control standards. They are FDA approved, not easy to do. They have over 90 scientific articles and research studies.  Now -- inside the seed there are many ingredients. That's a given. We and the company only want the active antioxidant oligomeric proanthocyanidins. We don't want anything else. The purer the grapeseed ingredients are, the better the grapeseed is. So -- there are machines that decipher what each ingredient is within the seed and with WATER, not solvents of any type, only the OPC is taken and sold. 
    As far as grape toxicity goes, there were only 7-10 cases reported EVER.  I talked to a doctor at the poison control center and I'm not convinced it's just grapes.  I'm a vet for a long time and never saw it.

Also, they don't have a clue if it's insect aside, skin, inside, nothing.  If you go on the university sites, most still say it is ok to feed them to dogs, just limit the quantity.
    • Bronze
    insect aside

Insecticide?

I do feed grapes and raisins to my dogs. I was only answering the question about grapeseed oil for the OP and those who avoid feeding grapes and raisins. [;)] Sorry, didn't mean to start anything, I should have thought twice before posting.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I always used grapes as treats until they were declared dangerous. It was when Emma was a puppy that several cases of dogs being poisoned by grapes occured, I think. I know that *I* never heard of it before then, and I kept grapes in the freezer, for her. She thought they were great fun. I don't buy organic produce (availability, and price), but if I did, and she wasn't such a sensitive dog, I'd probably still share my grapes. Then again, I'm paranoid. I might not.

I thought that if the grape itself was toxic in some way, the oils and extracts and stuff from the seeds would be WORSE. Aren't seeds and pits usually a BAD idea????
    • Gold Top Dog
    Y'know, like apple seeds and peach pits and such?
    • Silver
    I recall Mordanna being asked about grapeseed oil - she said it is perfectly safe.
    • Gold Top Dog

There are no indications that grapeseed oil presents any danger to dogs. If you recall, the reason why grapes (and raisins) were declared dangerous was that dogs died after eating certain quantities of the fruit. No such reactions to grapeseed extract or oil have been reported.

Right now, the thinking is that the skin of the grapes (and raisins) poses the danger, and pesticides used when the fruits are grown are a possible culprit. None of that applies to grapeseed extract or oil.

[linkhttp://www.paw-pals.org/articles/article/2771153/42620.htm]http://www.paw-pals.org/articles/article/2771153/42620.htm[/link]

I might be not understanding something, but reading this link it says they don't know if its the skin or not, they don't know if its pesticides or not, etc etc.  Seem like they don't know much at all about why grapes are toxic to dogs, so how would they know about grapes seed oil?  I don't think I would give it to my dog.

I do give Bubblegum a grape here or there, I eat them every day for breakfast and she loves fruit so she drools for grapes.  Ollie used to love them also.   What is the point of grape seed oil?  Just seems that there is no real necessity to give it to your dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    . Grape skins, as well as the seeds and stems contain organic compounds called tannins. Tannins can be extremely toxic to dogs and even some people. Tannins are what make apple seeds, some woods and grains such as hops toxic to dogs. They are bitter tasting and make your mouth dry. They are found in all tea, beer and wine.  Tannins are also present in alot of different seeds which is why most have to be soaked or sprouted before using to rid the seed of the tannins or reduced by using Polyclar which electrostatically  attracts tannins  in beer, wine or cider. As it settles to the bottom of the fermenter.
       Tannin toxicity is known to cause liver failure in dogs. It is known that pet food manufactures add tannins to their foods to prevent diarreah in dogs because tannins are known as drying agents. Tannins are what they use to cure leather.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Tannins are also something used in aquarium water. I had no idea they were so icky.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wanted to post a link to an article - toxicology brief from the ASPCA, poison control center - regarding grape and raisin toxicity in dogs: [linkhttp://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/McKnight-Tox_Brief-Feb_VT_05.pdf?docID=3782]link to article[/link] .  It's viewable in Adobe format.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: barking_mad

insect aside

Insecticide?

I do feed grapes and raisins to my dogs. I was only answering the question about grapeseed oil for the OP and those who avoid feeding grapes and raisins. [;)] Sorry, didn't mean to start anything, I should have thought twice before posting.

If you call the ASPCA poison center you will find that grapes and raisins are on their list of dog poisons......
    • Gold Top Dog
    Pecan and Walnut trees produce so much tannin that grass and other plants are KILLED by them. It's a natural defense to keep the area around the tree from from 'competition'...I did not know why we could never grow grass around our pecan tree until I researched it. It's found in high amounts in shells and leaves of these trees and others in the family. yet my dogs ate many pecans and bits of shell included and never became ill. But they did get FAT! LOL....

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Bobsk8

If you call the ASPCA poison center you will find that grapes and raisins are on their list of dog poisons......

However, grape-seed extract is not. [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ...[align=left]As far as grape toxicity goes, there were only 7-10 cases reported EVER.  I talked to a doctor at the poison control center and I'm not convinced it's just grapes.  I'm a vet for a long time and never saw it...

No offense to the ASPCA, but I think this whole grapes are deadly paronoia is a bunch of bunk, and they should be more responsible in the information they put out there.  Where's the science behind these claims?  Where're the statistics?  There are only a handful of stories on the Interent, but everyone talks as if dogs are dropping dead left and right from eating grapes.  Now people are trying to spread the paranoia to grapeseeds for which there is no evidence at all whatsoever of health problems in dogs.