Is food coloring safe to put in dog treats?

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Is food coloring safe to put in dog treats?

Hey, so I figured I would make valentines day dog treats for Simba, and thought about putting some red food coloring in them. I just want to know if this is safe or not.

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe, maybe not.  Some reds aren't safe for humans either.

IF you use it, understand that the affect is more for YOU than for anyone else.  Simba won't be able to see the color the way you will.

• Gold Top Dog

If you used beets in the recipe or even had some juice, it'd give it a reddish color but I wouldn't use anything that wasn't vegetable based. I'm sure Simba will like them regardless of what color they are. :)

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Maybe, maybe not.  Some reds aren't safe for humans either.

IF you use it, understand that the affect is more for YOU than for anyone else.  Simba won't be able to see the color the way you will.

I wasn't aware of that, and that is true. :P 

• Gold Top Dog

cakana

If you used beets in the recipe or even had some juice, it'd give it a reddish color but I wouldn't use anything that wasn't vegetable based. I'm sure Simba will like them regardless of what color they are. :)

Hm I didn't think of using beets but now I'll check out a recipe containing it. Yeah he probably will, he eats lint for crying out loud. *Facepalm*

• Gold Top Dog

Beets!  What a great idea!  Just use the liquid from the beets in place of water or whatever other liquid!

Brilliant!

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Beets!  What a great idea!  Just use the liquid from the beets in place of water or whatever other liquid!

Brilliant!

Silly question, but how would I get enough liquid from it? :-s It does sound like a good idea though!

• Gold Top Dog

Buy beet juice! I've used it to stain a dog's hair, before, and it turned a very nice red-pink.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

Buy beet juice! I've used it to stain a dog's hair, before, and it turned a very nice red-pink.

That's too hilarious! Okay I will do that. :D 

• Gold Top Dog
    jennie_c_d

Re-he-he-healy....

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, and I think it would work on a mohawk, but over all, I like the food coloring pens for small sections of dog. Beet juice is more of a whole dog stain, unless you want to smear conditioner everywhere you don't want stained, THEN apply beet juice.

No, I don't have too much free time.... what ever do you mean????

• Gold Top Dog

Buy a can of SLICED or whole beets.  Drain the liquid off, and then use the beets on your own table.  They can be tasty as a once in a blue moon kind of veggie.