Choosing a good puppy food

[$provider]
    • Bronze

Choosing a good puppy food

I am looking for advice on how to pick a good puppy food. I would like to hear opinions and why you like certain foods etc. Thanks in Advance.

12 week old chow he came with Beneful puppy food.

• Bronze

I was hoping for some suggestions and people's experiences and thoughts.

After doing some research I decided on Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy.  Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on this?

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Amy,  welcome to the forum.  I have always had large breed pups and I have used different foods.  I now have a  4 mnth old mixed large breed.  I have been feeding him Taste of the Wild puppy, dry and PB/puppy food stew.   I have tried Blue and a few others but he seems to like Taste of the Wild.  I have always fed out pups a good quality food during the growing years.   I know some folks that  prefer certain brands over others  but I prefer what each one of our dogs seem to like best.

• Gold Top Dog

Here is a very good article from the Whole Dog Journal that describes the guidelines to keep in mind when researching potential dog foods:

www.whole-dog-journal.com/.../Top-Quality-Dry-Dog-Foods-20683-1.html

A website I've used when researching a particular brand of food:

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Unlike years ago, there are lots of excellent dog foods available now.  It's impossible to name which are the best because it will depend on the needs of each individual dog.  We feed Orijen now, but in the past we've used Wellness, Innova, and Nature's Variety.

• Gold Top Dog

Tracy , dogfoodadvisor.com is a really good site that you shared with me many years ago.  I still get an occasional alert from them.  I do have to agree the whole fiasco over Pet food some years ago has brought  a lot more awareness to what we feed our pets.  

I will definitely go check out the whoe-dog site. too.

• Gold Top Dog

That's a great site!

I personally won't use any product made by Diamond, simply because of their history of contamination.  

• Bronze

Hi, thanks for sharing the sites, I didn't care much about what I get for my dogs until I had a labrador that got renal failure during his old days.

• Puppy

Use mixture of kibbles and bones

• Puppy

You can refer this source if you are looking for Good and Bad Foods for your dog:

https://onebarkplaza.com/what-human-foods-are-good-and-bad-for-puppies/