Parsley

• Gold Top Dog

Parsley

Hi, I have been reading up on parsley and dogs.  Does anyone add parsley to their dogs diet?  I heard a tablespoon of fresh parsley per day for a medium to large dog.

If you do use it, why do you use it and have you noticed an improvement in your dog?  How do you feed it?   I am considering trying this for Pella our 11 yr old.

thanks

• Gold Top Dog

Before adding it to Pella's food, you should know that feeding a lot of it can cause the dog to urinate frequently, and it's high in oxalate, so not it's appropriate for a calcium oxalate forming dog. What benefits have you read about when included in a dog's diet?

• Gold Top Dog

I've used it before but do *not* use it regularly for several reasons.

It's typically used to help reduce liver levels - and it can help with that a lot.  (most "bitter" herbs tend to help the liver)

However -- what Jessie's Mom said about it being high in oxalic acid -- BIG DEAL if the dog has arthritis.  It can make the dog (and a human) too sore to move on far less than 1 teas. a day.  And yes, it can increase urination (that's part of the detox thing it can help with).  Just be aware -- for an 11 year old dog?  It could seriously be counter productive (oxalic acid -- stuff like spinach, swiss chard, parsley)

• Gold Top Dog

Janice,

This is what I have been reading:

Parsley in a sentence is “The one herb that will allow all systems to move at appropriate levels for optimum health without any stress-related factors.” Here is a closer look at why you should consider fresh or dried parsley, using the leaves and or seeds, in your feeding program as an additive (not in therapeutic doses for pregnant and lactating bitches–please consult your health professional in those regards). Parsley acts like an antioxidant in that it neutralizes the negative effects of the environment by eliminating toxins and maintains the elasticity of the blood vessels. It is very beneficial for the liver, digestive system, to re-boot the immune system, reduce stress levels in the endocrine system and will benefit every area of digestion.

It has diuretic qualities but does not diminish fluidity of the body, only removing excess toxins at the cellular level and at the same time it flushes the kidneys. Scientists have isolated a compound in parsley called APIOL, which is now used in medications to treat kidney ailments and kidney stones. Now as we move down to the bladder, parsley is an antispasmodic reducing the urgency to urinate as in irritable bladder syndrome, at the same time strengthening any weakness of the bladder as well as protecting the bladder from the accumulation of bladder stones. It reduces the overall stress on this system as well as a reduction of inflammation.

Since parsley has toxin removing qualities and combines with manganese which assists muscles as an antispasmodic, this allows the body to move toxins out of the muscles. Some arthritis’s are caused by an accumulation of toxins in the joints that calcify causing disease. Parsley also helps with rheumatism and gout for the same reasons as stated above.

The stomach and intestines, the large and small colon benefit from parsley as a carminative by helping to reduce as well as release cramp-producing gasses. It can aid in the expelling of tapeworms and other parasites after treatment and can be used to help remove excess mucous that was formed by the affliction while helping the intestines and stomach quickly return to normal digestion and function of elimination.

Here again, I am sure it does not have all the answers and would need to be used with some concern as with anything.  Just wondering if any others add it to their dogs diets.

Thanks for your information.

• Gold Top Dog

Mydogs
    Some arthritis’s are caused by an accumulation of toxins in the joints that calcify causing disease. Parsley also helps with rheumatism and gout for the same reasons as stated above.

It's pretty difficult to tell the *cause* of the arthritis -- and dogs aren't prone to gout really (and that would take a superior vet to find that one).

Parsley primarily helps detox the liver (that and celery) and with a good liver-cleansing diet (Dr. Dodds has a good one on Hemopet that you can use) it can be beneficial.

However -- understand that this is just *one* person's idea (not sure if it's a doctor, vet or herbologist until I check) and medical opinion can vary widely.  The other thing that can be really difficult with dogs is that they can't **TELL** us when they are in pain.  We have to know them well enough to see the difference of whether they are just being stoic or really aren't feeling pain. 

But I can tell you as a human arthritis sufferer that I control all my arthritis with herbs, essential oils, diet, etc (because I can't take the drugs ... period!).  And literally one mouthful of spinach or one mouthful of parsley will set me up to hurt SO badly that I can't move at all the next day without excruciating pain.

And many holistic vets who are knowledgeable about diet are now finding that if antioxidants aren't used the body then can transform them into free radicals which starts the whole bad process all over.  So just giving "lots" of any thing is generally counter-productive.  Does that make sense?

I can't give you studies -- I can tell you my sources (and they are well known researching vets like Dr. Joe Demers and Dr. Lynn Peck). 

Any time you start using herbs (whether it's parsley or black walnut or whatever) to try to deal with parasites you get into some dangerous ground because it is so very difficult to "dose" an herb because it will work differently from dog to dog depending on breed, metabolism, and general health.  A few years ago it was highly touted online to use black walnut among other herbs "instead" of using heartworm preventive and to kill various parasites -- and a lot of dogs wound up with heart problems as a result because the dosing is nearly impossible on an animal that can't tell you "oh boy ... that makes me feel funny".

I'm not telling you you're incorrect -- much of what you're saying is super good stuff.  I'm just cautioning you to proceed **very** carefully because it can have a backlash you may not expect.

• Gold Top Dog

Abby (hope that's your name);  I noticed that in a thread in the Health section you said Pella ( very cute name! ) has Cushings. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this disease. Dogs with Cushings are at greater risk for developing calcium oxalate stones, so that's important to keep in mind if you're going to give her parsley. I'm sure you know that they are also at greater risk for hypothyroidism, kidney disease, heart problems, compromised liver function. They are also more prone to pancreatitis because of the changes in the way their bodies metabolize fat. Being proactive with her diet, as you're obviously trying to do, can help avoid some of these problems. For example, a diet with low oxalate foods will help prevent stone formation. You can support her liver by including high quality protein in her diet, and support the kidneys by not feeding her an excessive amount of protein, which helps limit the amount of phosphorus she's getting. You should also give her fish body oil because it's very good for the kidneys.

• Gold Top Dog

Jessies_mom you SO rock!!  The fact that Jessie has such severe pancreatitis and you have learned ALL you have learned to help support her diet is just SO incredible.

Oxalate stones are so easy to happen and can be so tough to get rid of.  I got in trouble with that last year just giving a bit too much calcium with a bit too much cranberry (to ward off UTIs in a couple of my dogs very prone to them).  Literally that occurred in just 3 months.

• Puppy

Calliecritturs - Glad I found you here.  On another note...You were such a blessing to my 14yr old JRT with Cushings and liver disease a year ago when the vets said that she may not have much time.  She will be 15 yrs old this Sunday and is so full of life.  You saved my little girl with your advice.  Thank you so much.  I love reading your posts, they are so informative.  With now six dogs, I am sure every bit of information you share, I will eventually need to know.  Thanks again.  I have been meaning to call you to thank you!  Will soon.

• Bronze

So nice to see this type of Explanation and love for pet animals.

• Bronze

Thank you for this information! Lately I've started reading more. And I’m ashamed to admit that I had periods when I read less than one book in a year. Even after one year in college, I still struggled to write well.  I routinely employ ghostwriter services, and it's usually useful www.academicghostwriter.org What matters is that I completed everything on time and with high standards.