Benadryl

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Benadryl

Okay...so its 1 mg per pound of pet weight.

But...if your using liquid Bendadryl, how do you convert to mls?

• Gold Top Dog

I have never used the liquid so i realy don't know. Honey is on benadryl because of her MCT surgery bnut I giver pills.Is there anything on the bottle that says something like 1 teaspoon is equal to one 25  tablet?  I hve never looked at a bottle.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't have a bottle Sandra ( thanks for answering though ) its just something our vet always suggests rather than pill form.  I figured with all the Benadryl talk around her over the years.....someone uses the liquid. 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Dyan I presume it is children's Benadryl ( I looked on line and only found liquid for kids)

It says that a teaspoon is 5 ml and that each 5mls has 12.5mg of diphenhydramine which is equal to 1/2 caplet or adult dose which is 25mg

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  For a DANE that's going to be a heck of a LOT of Benedryl.  The dose is actually 1-2 mg per pound body weight given two to three times per day-- depending on what you're giving it for.  If you're giving it for something like a bee sting you want to use the TWO mg/lb dose.  If you're giving it longer term for something like allergies then the 1 mg per pound

1 teaspoon = 12.5 mg. 

1 teaspoon = 1/2 capsule

1 capsule = 25 mg.

So you're supposed to use 1 mg per pound body weight (you're never going to need to know how many ml's -- use a child's tube spoon but be prepared to give SEVERAL)

So say you have a dog that's 100 pounds.

That's FOUR over the counter capsules (for a 100 pound dog) given three times a day -- that's TWELVE capsules over the course of a day.

If you're giving it in liquid, that same 100 pound dog needs EIGHT TEASPOONS of Benedryl and then repeat that to give  2-3 times a day. 

3 teaspoons is a tablespoon.  So 8 teaspoons is 2 & 2/3 tablespoons.  (just for a mental frame of reference -- that's a LOT of Benedryl)

STILL TALKING ABOUT A 100 POUND DOG HERE

1 teaspoon = 5 ml  -- so you're talking about 40 ml of Benedryl for one dose.  or 80 ml for the does for anaphylactic shock (like bee sting).

ML's would be pretty hard to deal with I think.  I'm laughing Dyan. 

However, the reason the vet is telling you to keep the liquid Benedryl on hand is because in an emergency *like a bee sting* the body absorbs it FASTER than the pills.  The children's liquid is basically alcohol and sugar so it absorbs faster into the body.

• Gold Top Dog

Your my hero Callie!!!  But I keep saying that.  Thanks to you and Karen.

• Gold Top Dog
    calliecritturs
    so you're talking about 40 ml of Benedryl for one dose.  or 80 ml for the does for anaphylactic shock (like bee sting).

LOL - I think it was Bugsy's mom that said something about having to strap a turkey baster to her bottle of Benedryl for Bugs, when I mentioned that I keep a syringe rubber-banded on the bottle of liquid I have for emergencies.

How BIG of bottles does Benedryl even come in anyway?!?!

• Gold Top Dog

How big?  Something like 6 or 8 oz.  Not much.

• Puppy

I need to convert 4 mg into ml. my yorkie has allergies and needs benedryl. he weighs 4.5 lbs. 1 mg per pound. how much is that in ml's. the shringe has ml on it