AIHA or IMHA

• Gold Top Dog

AIHA or IMHA

• Puppy

Has any of your dogs been diagnosed with this? If so, what was the outcome?

Here is a link to an index of the content of this very long thread - INDEX

• Gold Top Dog

Do you have a dog with IMHA?  Are you simply researching?  Please feel free to email me -- I'm pretty knoweldgeable about this heinous disease. 

AIHA  = auto-immune hemolytic anemia

IMHA = immune mediated hemolytic anemia

Same disease.  AIHA is the "old" name for it is all. 

In IMHA/AIHA the immune system turns on the body and begins to kill the body's own red-blood cells.  It may simply kill the 'adult' red blood cells in the bloodstream, or it may go deeper and kill the 'baby' red blood cells called reticulocites in the bone marrow where red blood cells are formed.

My Billy the Venturin english cocker spanYELL is an IMHA survivor.  In June, 2006 he was diagnosed and between mid-June and mid-July, 2006 he had SIX blood transfusions.  It took weeks for his body to absorb enough cyclosporine (Atopica -- dogs can NOT take the human cyclosporine formulation) and prednisone (super high doses) to push the immune system down enough so it would stop killing red blood cells.

Billy's immune system was killing the red blood cells deep in the bone marrow. 

He was on prednisone for almost 8 months.  He was on cyclosporine nearly 18 months before we could get him weaned off it. 

You are never "cured" of IMHA -- you simply get the immune system used to not attacking the body.  But it can, at any time at all, recur.  OR the body can flip-flop and the immune system may attack *another* part of the body. 

In Billy's case we used not only regular veterinary medicine, but also "TCVM" (traditional Chinese veterinary medicine).  In addition to the pred, Atopica, and various stomach protectors (he took twice the amount of Prilosec that an adult human would take every day), he got acupuncture and took various herbs to help build his blood, combat side effects, and to help protect the liver (he took **massive** amounts of milk thistle, a/k/a silymarin, which protected his liver and kidneys and enabled his body to survive the horrible medicines used to save his life).

Since finally getting off the drugs, we have continued the TCVM/acupuncture and have also use homeopathy to help detox his body gently and help him swing back to real, true health.  He's nearly 9 now.  He feels good and does really well, but I watch him VERY VERY closely. 

Auto-immune could raise it's head any time.  Billy will never EVER be able to have another vaccine as long as he lives.  He does *not* get rabies -- we titer for even that, and my vet helps me get a waiver from the State of Florida. 

Yes, this has aged him, but he's doing well.  Very very well.

Another note -- cocker spaniels generally do NOT respond favorably to IMHA.  They rarely survive.  In fact, I know of only one other buffy cocker who has survived IMHA (Mia is in the UK.)

• Puppy
    My 5 year old female dog, Lily was recently diagnosed with this. For the past few days she has been on 40mg a day of prednisone. The vet said that she will not require a transfusion and that it is moving slowly because her body is fighting it. What were your dogs PCV levels at when he got the transfusion. Lily is at 13% now and the vet said that he only does it if levels are below 10%. Thank you for all the information that you gave!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Pirate had a similar auto-immune disorder - not quite as severe as IMHA but close. Pirate and I will keep Lily in our prayers - immune-mediated diseases are so so nasty. I hope she's feeling better soon!
    • Puppy

sl2crmeg
    Pirate had a similar auto-immune disorder - not quite as severe as IMHA but close. Pirate and I will keep Lily in our prayers - immune-mediated diseases are so so nasty. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Thank you very much! We need all the prayers we can get!

• Gold Top Dog
    Of course! Feel free to PM me - anytime, I mean it!
    • Gold Top Dog

Willow was diagnosed with an immune disease called IMT in July of this year.  It's very similar to IMHA and often it can turn into it.  It's treated the same way too.  We started at very high doses of Prednisone.  She had frequent blood checks and after each check if the results were OK the Prednisone dose got lowered.  But, it was a very long tapering off process.  She is finally off everything now and stable but it took until this month. 

Lori

• Gold Top Dog
    How's Lily today?
    • Gold Top Dog

I LOST MY 4 YEAR OLD GOLDEN RETRIEVER, HUNTER, TO AIHA ON OCT. 16, 2003, JUST 9 DAYS AFTER HE WAS DIAGNOSED.   IT IS A VERY BAD DISEASE, BUT SOME DOGS GET THRU IT AND LIVE LONG LIVES.  HUNTERS WAS BROUGHT ON BY THE 6 MONTH HEARTWORM PREVENTION INJECTION, PROHEART 6,  IT WAAS ALO KILLING HIS LIVER--THE HISTOPATH RPORT FROM NECROPSY SAID "DRUG INDUCED NECROSIS OF THE LIVER" SO MY POOR BOY NEVER HAD A CHANCE.

HERE IS PRAYERS AND GOOD THOUGHTS FOR YOU LITTLE GIRL.

• Puppy

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Lily is doing great! She has another check up today to try and lower her dose of predisone. Thank you guys for responding. I have gotten so much information and she seems like she will recover from this!

I will update after her appointment tonight! Wish us luck!

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck, hope Lily's check up is good. 

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck, Lily!  Hang in there, girl!

• Gold Top Dog
    Good going, Lily!

Not to sound like a 'mini Callie' but have you added milk thistle? Pirate's is powdered and I just mix it in with his food and he barely notices. Pred will do some damage pretty quickly.

And is she eating OK? When Pirate was sick he waddnt' eatn NUFFIN. So I had to get creative :) and have lots of ideas.

• Gold Top Dog

You guys are on my wavelength -- I forgot she had posted here and me ... being the shy little thing I am (ewww, that thunderbolt almost got me!!!), I called her and left a message tonight *grin*.

In fact, on the phone the other night I mentioned Pirate and Willow and Hunter!  Yep, I did.  I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy Lily is doing well.  That is awesome.