Sore after grooming ???

• Gold Top Dog

Sore after grooming ???

I have a co-worker with 2 yo female Shih-tzu (sp?) named Jo-Jo who comes home after grooming with strange behaviors. 

It seems like here hind end hurts.  She starts walking across the room and after a couple steps, whips around to look at her butt and starts licking.  That makes us both think she hurts.  It lasts a few days and then subsides.  She's also lethargic during this time.

She goes to the groomer once every 3 months.  My co-worker has tried different groomers, he went with her to see the procedure, tried letting her air dry instead of force drying.  He picks her up at the groomer's and she is acting all happy and excited to see him.  After they get home she starts this odd behavior.

I'm at a loss.....any ideas ?

TIA

• Gold Top Dog

maybe if she is getting her anal glands expressed, she feels a bit funny back there?? dont know about being lethargic though.... maybe talk to a vet? it seems kinda strange and concerning...

• Puppy
    I have a shih tzu as well, and have noticed with her and with some other small dogs, that after their vulva area is clipped or trimmed, they will do this.  My tzu will turn around and look at her butt or abruptly sit down if I trim her even a small amount in that area.  Even if there is no clipper burn or anything.  I bet its the same with Jo JO
    • Gold Top Dog

shihtzugirl75
    I have a shih tzu as well, and have noticed with her and with some other small dogs, that after their vulva area is clipped or trimmed, they will do this.  My tzu will turn around and look at her butt or abruptly sit down if I trim her even a small amount in that area.  Even if there is no clipper burn or anything.  I bet its the same with Jo JO

If he tells the groomer next time to leave that area alone (as an experiment to see if that's the problem)........will her chances of contracting a UTI be dramatically increased ?  

As for the anal glands....I'll have to ask him if that is being done as well.

Thanks for the input Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

Also, shaving straight UP the tail can be quite irritating. Someone showed me that, recently, and my dogs stopped doing that whip around thing. Apparently, they have a vein right there, and the vibration bothers it. Shaving IN from the sides is much easier on them.

Not shaving the vulva is fine if your friend keeps it washed and combed. Show Powderpuffs do not get sanitaries. I'm sure Shih Tzus don't, either. They do fine.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

Also, shaving straight UP the tail can be quite irritating. Someone showed me that, recently, and my dogs stopped doing that whip around thing. Apparently, they have a vein right there, and the vibration bothers it. Shaving IN from the sides is much easier on them.

Not shaving the vulva is fine if your friend keeps it washed and combed. Show Powderpuffs do not get sanitaries. I'm sure Shih Tzus don't, either. They do fine.

Thanks for the help ladies.  I will share this info with my co-worker.  He hates to see his little buddy in distress.... 

• Gold Top Dog

Tootsie, my corgi has done this the last two times at the groomer. She refuses to jump for at least the day after and then is fine. My thoughts are that when she goes in the crate to wait for me, its usually two crates stacked, as soon as that door opens she launches out and is not being caught right. I tell them that she does this but trying to catch a long dog is not easy.

• Gold Top Dog

Back when Woobie was having trouble with his anal glands and we had to go to the vet to have them expressed, he would do that move for a day or two afterwards, so it might be that.  Indie is susceptible to brush burn whenever I use a slicker on his back end, even though his skin doesn't really get red, but I was able to narrow it down to the slicker and when I stopped using it, he stopped biting at his back end after being brushed, it could be the brushes used too.  Hope he feels better! 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the suggestions.  I printed the entire thread for him to take to the groomer next time.  He had no idea if her anal glands were being expressed.  Honestly, he didn't know what I was talking about.  Also not sure if the underside of her tail was getting clipped or not.  Says she always got a lot of fluff left on her tail.

Hopefully, this will help.  Thanks ! 

• Gold Top Dog

It may not be the anal glands at all but just getting a sanitary cut around the butt hole.  Kirby did the same thing when a groomer gave him a sanitary cutt (note he didn't get anything else done and I was there the whole time).  The next couple of days he would do the look at around at himself, and random sitting.  He also did the same thing after getting shaved when he got neutered.  I was always thought maybe his hair was tickling with the sudden added draft?

• Gold Top Dog

Maggie did the sitting down, looking around at her rear after grooming. Usually for a day or two. She had luxating patellas bilateral.She was definitely in pain after grooming.  I changed groomers and really almost begged them to be very gentle with her. That was a major improvement for her. Now I do it myself, started after her surgeries. Good thing she's so cute anyway, her haircuts are not always flattering, lol.

• Gold Top Dog

That's a good thought, ingemk. I groom a 12 yr old Cairn with bilateral luxating patellas. She has learned, over the years, that groomers hurt her. She bites, and she's been kicked out of several grooming shops. I've groomed her three times, and she's gotten significantly better. I'm just suuuuper gentle with her, especially on her rear. I tell her what I'm about to do, and I never, EVER pull on her.

If there's something already wrong, the groomer could easily make it worse, with less than gentle handling. On a regular, healthy dog.... a little course handling doesn't bother them. I'm not even super gentle with my own dogs (I'm not saying I'm mean or rough, I just go fast and don't pay special attention to anything that doesn't bother them, they know the routine, so they just go with it). Dogs with special needs require special attention.