Noromectin?

• Gold Top Dog

Noromectin?

After a lot of hemming and hawwing, I've decided to start using Ivermectin as a HW preventative for Gypsy instead of the Heartgard she has been on.  Just for a little background history, she had demodex when she was young, so she was treated with ivermectin daily and at a MUCH higher dose than I would be using now.  I realize now that there are better ways to treat demodex, but at the time I was like 13 and just following instructions...but that's kinda beside the point!  So anyway, given her history and the fact that she never reacted to the Ivermectin before, I am relatively certain the switch should not be a problem.  (Feel free to offer arguments if my reasoning isn't sound).

Now here's the real reason for my post.  I went to the feed store looking for Ivomec, but it seems they were out of stock.  Instead I found "Noromectin (ivermectin) 1% injection for cattle and swine."  It contains 1% ivermectin, 40% glycerol formal, and propylene glycol q.s. ad 100%.  It gives the same recommended dose for cattle and swine as Ivomec does.  So it seems to me that it is basically the same thing as Ivomec, just a different brand name, perhaps?  It's made in the UK.

Has anyone heard of Noromectin before?  More importantly, could anyone possibly tell me if there is any reason why Ivomec would be considered preferable?  Or are they more-or-less equivalent/substitutes?  Thanks in advance.  :-)

• Gold Top Dog

I think your biggest problem is going to be figuring out the right dosage.  Dosages for cattle and swine are different than for dogs.

Figure out the volume that you will need to feed your dog to get the right number of mg.  Do that before you buy.

Sorry, but I don't have time right now to investigate the volume for you.  I am working in a 12-hr shift in a Dallas area Red Cross shelter for Ike refugees.

• Gold Top Dog

If you've been using HeartGuard you *have* been using ivermectin.  I'm not familiar at all with that brand ... I'd ask the store manager why they carry that *instead* of Ivomec (that might tell you something??)  You'd also be able to compare the inert ingredients with what you've found in this.

Then compare the price of the Ivomec online (it's easy to get online) with the price at the feed store and see.  If you'll email me I can give you the dosages for different things for ivermectin but you do have to convert it yourself -- and you'll need to get some insulin syringes from the drug store -- Ivomec comes with a rubber stopper in the top (because they typically inject with cattle/swine and you don't have to do that with dogs).

Let's all just say at least ONCE in here -- you don't give ivermectin to herding dogs generally.  Some of them are ok with it but it tends to be a huge caution (particularly collies, shelties, corgis, and most anything 'herding' you have to proceed with extreme caution and even some other breeds and individual dogs can be very sensitive to it).  GypsyNBeau knows already that her dog has taken ivermectin -- but please folks, don't take this as a generic 'ok for all dogs' because it's not.

• Gold Top Dog

Actually, nevermind -- I just compared the labels and they read EXACTLY the same, except where one says Ivomec, the other says Noromectin.  Everything else is exactly identical.  I should have looked harder for the label information before posting.

Thanks though for your responses.  Callie, I already have e-mailed you for the dosages. ;)  (And I know Heartgard is ivermectin, I just worded that badly).

• Puppy

I only joined recently hence my late response. I've used Noromectin for alost 7 years now on my dog with no side effects. The dossage is 1 ml for every 50 kg mass. Invermetin is the same product, just more expensive. In South Africa Invermectin is not rcommended for dogs and our vets refuse Invermectin treatments. It is also not recommended for long hair dogs.