does anyone use flea repellent dog biscuits?

[$provider]
    • Bronze

does anyone use flea repellent dog biscuits?

has anyone tried flea hater biscuits as an alternative to frontline or chemical flea repellents?

someone gave me a recipe for these flea hater biscuits with a bit of garlic and brewers yeast in it...the supposedly it works really well.

i'm trying it out, and so far so good, though the summer has only just started.

i'm kind of nervous about using just this because the fleas get really bad here, so i'm just wondering if any one else uses this methosd an what you think about it.

the reason i'm most interested in it is because it's supposed to be better for the dog since its more natural.

thoughts?

• Gold Top Dog

These biscuits may help, but I doubt they will substitute for Frontline.  What is the recipe?

• Gold Top Dog

I think it may depend on where you live.Areas with a year round warm climate and many pets may pose more of a problem.I don't have fleas here but the garlic I take keeps the mosquitos off me very effectively.I applaud your efforts to try something more natural firstBig Smile

Tena

• Bronze

thanks yall!
    here's the recipe!

INGREDIENTS

• 3 cubes beef bouillon
    • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
    • 2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 cup cornmeal
    • 2/3 cup brewers' yeast
    • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
    • 2 egg yolks

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Dissolve beef bouillon cubes in boiling water, and set aside. Grease cookie sheets.
    2. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, corn meal, brewers yeast, and garlic powder. Add the yolks, then gradually pour in the bouillon water while stirring. Mix thoroughly to form a firm dough. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies one inch apart onto cookie sheets.
    3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the oven off, and leave the cookies inside for at least 3 hours or overnight to harden. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

yeah, i live in texas, so by the end of summer, fleas are REALLY bad here....

last year it felt like even frontline didn't make a lick of difference...
    so i'm torn because i hate giving my little dogs such strong chemicals, ya know

but at the same time i dont want them to be flea infested either... but  i'm thinking maybe frontline didn't work as well last summer since they dit doesn't actually repel the fleas to being with... 

i think i'll use this as long as i can and hope they keep working! :P

i kind of feel the same way about heartworm meds as well....though i haven't found any alternatives so i still use them....
    but it just seems like such harsh chemicals for them to be ingesting... has anyone tried alternatives?