How Long After Neuter to Limit Activity?

• Gold Top Dog

How Long After Neuter to Limit Activity?

B'asia was spayed yesterday and came home this morning. Does anyone know when she'll be free to be on her own and do what she wants? Her incision looks great, she ate some dinner tonight. And she REALLY wants to play! As rough as she and Jaia play, though, I feel like I'm going to have her leashed for days!

How long after spaying did you limit your dog's activities?

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Very limited for the first 3 days or so then a sharp eye and quick redirection until the stitches are taken off. All in all, a week to ten days. They are not supposed to jump, run hard or play rough.... it's a boooring life for them for a while but quite an interesting one for the caretaker. [:D

I am glad all went well and the incision is looking nice. Just keep an eye on it and try not to let her get to it.

Good luck for the next week.

• Gold Top Dog
    A few days strict no running about (if possible) a week would be better to be safe.  After that, just keep her from out and out rough housing/wrestling until the stitches are out..generally about the 10-14 day mark
    • Gold Top Dog
    Our vet said 7-10 days...no running or jumping. It is tough to keep them couped up like that I know!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks all! I see I said "neuter" in the title. LOL Technically, it's correct, but that's not what I meant to say.

Anyway, yeah, it's going to be rough. B'asia is SO active. She's hyper and wiry. It's going to be hard on both of us. I've got her on a 15 foot leash day and night. Because if I let her go, she and Jaia will go at it.

Ugh. Fun for me!

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Any idea how hard it is to harness the energy of a tornado? When I had 'Tornado' Tess spayed it was extremely difficult to keep her quiet for 10 days.  She spent alot of time in her crate which was the only way to ensure she was quiet. She was leash walked only and was not allowed to participate in her normal favorite playtimes (chasing a tennis ball).  She somehow still managed to give herself a hernia and much to her dismay her recuperation time was extended by 7 days of which most  was spent in her crate to avoid further injury. 

Those can be the hardest, most stressful 10 days you and your dog will suffer through, but in hindsight, it's really not so bad.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow! That's certainly incentive to continue to be careful. She's still on a 15 foot leash during the day and I'm not allowing her and Jaia to play at all. He's being a VERY good boy about it all considering I'm not allowing him to play with his sister. They're all calm and mellow at night, but I'm sleeping in the living room so I hear her movements. And fortunately, DH is helping a LOT with the other dogs. He takes them out and plays with them.

To top this all off, I injured my knees and I'm practically on bedrest! So B'asia and I staying immobile together is working out quite nicely. My knees should be pretty well recovered by the time she's getting her stitches out, so that works out well.
    • Gold Top Dog
    When Tess was under 'house arrest' Reno loved it.  It gave him a much needed break from being tormented by his 'little sister'.  He always tolerated her, but I could tell he was loving her being crated.

Sorry about your knees... I know how painful that can be.  What'd you do, if you don't mind my asking?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Too many Squats, apparently. I didn't feel it at the time, but the next day... And it's bad. I'm doing RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) and not much else, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to avoid a doctor visit but... B'asia and I will recoop together. :) 
    • Gold Top Dog
    ouch!!! Well, I hope you and your girl recover quickly.  I love your dogs' names by the way.  Where do they come from? Do they have a translation.

Sorry don't mean to hijack.