Must they stay overnight?

• Gold Top Dog

Must they stay overnight?

Just wondering if my puppy will have to stay overnight after being neutered?  My two females did but that was 12 yrs ago.  Someone told me that they picked up their female the same day after bing spayed?  My pup will get it done next month sometime.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have 5 males, so I can't make a statement about females, but my vet keeps the males overnight.
    • Bronze
    There are two very important reasons why they should stay overnight. One-it keeps them completely confined and immobile for the critical period after surgery, two-it allows the vet. staff to re-evaluate the animal in the morning.  You know, check temp, check incision, give meds, clean them up, etc.  At the clinic I worked at, everything stayed overnight, but some clinics are different.  It depends on your vet's opinion.  Hope it helps!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    We had our 2 females spayed (one traditionally with stitches and the second one with laser surgery) and they both stayed overnight -standard practice for our vet. I did not like the idea of leaving them there but I felt safer knowing that they would be supervised. My biggest nightmare was about major bleeding which, to reassure you, did not happen with any of them. I would go with the overnight stay any time.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Some vets keep them, some vets don't. My clinic only keeps afternoon surgeries, orthopedic surgeries, and declaws. I would be OK leaving them overnight if they had 24 hour staffing, but would not be ok leaving them if there was nobody there. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would refuse to let them stay overnight. Usually that means they are stuffed in a cage and everyone goes home. If something goes wrong, there is no one to notice. I've always taken mine home as soon as they wake up and watched them myself for those critical post-surgery hours.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I wouldn't let my dog stay overnight at our vets simply because there's nobody there at night to supervise.  If there were someone there and the animals were being watched closely, then I'm sure it would be OK.

Joyce
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am of mixed opinion in this matter.  I wouldn't want my male to stay overnight for a neuter.  I did allow my female to be kept after the spay-it was a difficult spay due to several complications.  I didn't want to have her kept, but I agreed with the vet's decision.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i used to send all neuters, including pyometras home the same night...gave owners my phone number in case they got anxious...but only had one mishap when they let the dog out at night andshe romped through the garden and ripped open incision...that was just sheer stupididty...had to hose off the leaves and stuff before putting the gut back in and dog did well but i kept that one for at least two m,ore days.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ace came home the day of his neuter.  It wasn't hard to keep him still the first night, as he was still a little groggy.  He just wanted to cuddle and sleep and I was really glad he could do that at home with me. 
    • Silver
    My dog didn't have to stay overnight. Neuters (not spays) are so superficial and the dogs are generally still groggy after they wake up so limiting activity is simple. IMO, spending overnight at the vet's is the same thing as crating your dog at home. Once the dog has awaken, there are generally few complications.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: fuzzy_dogs_mom

I wouldn't let my dog stay overnight at our vets simply because there's nobody there at night to supervise.  If there were someone there and the animals were being watched closely, then I'm sure it would be OK.

Joyce

Ditto... only I didn't find out until AFTER the spaying that nobody stayed at the clinic with the animals left there overnight.  I wanted to kick myself for not asking earlier, I just assumed someone would be there in case of fire or emergency.  So if anything ever happens and one of my girls has to stay the night... I guess I'll just set up shop with them cause I'm not leaving them alone again.
    • Gold Top Dog
    if it wasnt for this forum, i wouldnt have bothered asking the clinic a zillion questions!

when i made an appointment to get coco spayed, they booked an appointment for a friday...and wanted to keep her over night....

so i asked if there was going to be anyone there...

they said no... so i said...uh... why are they going to keep her over night then...and their answer was because that vet liked it that way...

i didnt like it... too worried about the what ifs and no one there to keep an eye out for her!

i think it was dvet who said it on a post some where that the best supervision a doggy can get after a surgery is their worry wart mommy/daddy. I mean...at the slightest little discomfort or bleeding, or anything, I'm sure we would be on a phone with some emergency vet right away!

Good luck!

ps. coco gets spayed the 24th!
    • Gold Top Dog
    So what are you doing.  Are they letting you take her home the same day or are you getting another vet to do it?
    • Silver
    i think it was dvet who said it on a post some where that the best supervision a doggy can get after a surgery is their worry wart mommy/daddy. I mean...at the slightest little discomfort or bleeding, or anything, I'm sure we would be on a phone with some emergency vet right away!

Hehe maybe that's what the vets are worried about...there worried they will lose sleep from worry wart mommy's and daddy's calling them for every little thing the dog does or doesn't do like normal. 

When I got my old dog neutered he stayed over night, but I think when I finally am able to get a new pup I will make sure they let me bring her home.  I hate having my animals away from me anymore then possible.