raspy breathing

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

raspy breathing

I was visiting my daughter for Christmas and she has a fox terrier that is 12 years old.  It is an excitable dog.  I noticed that when the dog started running around or getting the least bit excited it started this very loud breathing.  It had never done that before.  My daughter said it's been going on for a couple of weeks now.  I told her to get her dog to the Vet.  Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?  I know that short nose small dogs may sound funny, but this is all new.  It was coming from the throat and not the nose.

• Gold Top Dog

Old dog, new symptom, vet time. I have no idea, a lot  of things can cause louder breathing.

• Gold Top Dog

VET *now* -- that's too long to let it go, and that can be the only symptom they'll get of a 'heart cough' type of thing.  It may be fully and inexpensively treated *now*.  Just don't let it go.

• Gold Top Dog

It could be many things including tracheal collapse, which is common in small dogs. She definitely needs to see a vet.

• Gold Top Dog

jessies_mom

It could be many things including tracheal collapse, which is common in small dogs. She definitely needs to see a vet.

I was thinking the same thing.  It also sounds a lot like our old guy Mick's first symptoms of laryngeal parylsis.  Only a vet will be able to figure out for sure what's going on.

• Puppy

Yes, it could also be bacause it is too fat for her age specially with short nose dogs. My sister-in-law's pug died from being too fat and thus she had a hard tiem breathing, so her cause of death was difficulty in breathing.

But just to be sure bring her to a vet cause it may just be a respiratory virus or bacterial infection.

It may also be brachycephalic syndrome  which is common in dogs with short noses like English Bulldogs, Pugs, French Bulldogs, and others.