Panting and pacing

• Gold Top Dog

Love you all and thank you for being there and trying to help. Anything you can throw into the discussion is helpful.

Jasmine has both arthritis and IBS. Was treated with stem cells for the arthritis, plus antioxidants, plus omega 3, plus glucosamine supplement, plus MSM, plus catrophene injections. Also the pain meds text was inconclusive. Thinking this pain isn't the cause. The IBS could, maybe in combination with some gas, acidity or other stuff.

Yes, kept hoping that it was just some animal she smelled or heard outside. But then there can be skunk stink all over the neighborhood and it will get no reaction.

I think she looks way too agitated for that to be a reason. It doesn't resemble at all what she's like when she gets a whiff of something interesting. Also she'll keep her head low, her eyes get all bulgy - to me that spells high distress. Also made a video of the episode for the vet and he agrees that something more serious than an animal smell/sound is going on.

Btw, if you have the means, check into the VetStem for the arthritis. It really seems miraculous.

• Gold Top Dog

Are you feeding any kind of grains?

I have one dog that will get all stressed out and act in the same way you describe if he gets a lick at all of any type of gluten or wheat. It just flat out makes him totally miserable.

Just a thought.

• Gold Top Dog

Have you considered early CCD?  Could she be frightened by small seizures? 

Seizures can be very hard to recognize.  The animal doesn't have to fall down or shake violently.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2110&aid=616
    "Some older dogs may become restless at night, and stay awake, pacing through the house, or vocalizing. Pain, the need to urinate or defecate more often, the loss of vision or hearing, changes in appetite, and neurologic conditions can contribute to this behavior. ...

According to Pfizer Pharmaceutical, 62% of dogs age 10 years and older will experience at least some of the following symptoms, which could indicate that he has canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD):  ...

• Pacing and being awake all night, or a change in sleeping patterns.   ...

The drug called Selegiline or L-Deprenyl, (brand name Anipryl), although not a cure, has been shown to alleviate some of the symptoms of CCD."

• Gold Top Dog

stanton
    I have one dog that will get all stressed out and act in the same way you describe if he gets a lick at all of any type of gluten or wheat.

If there is a defective blood-brain barrier (viral damage?), diet can be a significant issue in things like seizures or hallucinations.  That barrier is supposed to regulate the amount and type of chemicals and nutrients that enter the brain.

See this post - http://community.dog.com/forums/p/78410/611202.aspx#611202
    It lists vet DogtorJ's list of foods to avoid for seizure dogs, plus seizure links.  DogtorJ himself is an epileptic and avoids those foods.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2105&aid=433
    "Pre-Seizure Phase: The pre-seizure phase is commonly called the aura. Your pet may appear restless, pace, seek affection, salivate, whine, or hide. These signs occur just minutes before the actual seizure begins."

One forum member's large dog was so frightened by his seizures that he would become very distructive or alternatively try to hide under the bath mat (didn't even cover his head).  The seizures were so physically mild that they weren't identified until one happened right in front of the vet.

Some human epileptics just seem like they are daydreaming for a few seconds when they have a seizure.  Imagine how hard that would be to identify in a dog!!

• Gold Top Dog

Are you feeding any kind of grains?

No, actually, her died is based on potatoes and sweet potatoes. Good thought though.

• Gold Top Dog

Have you considered early CCD?  Could she be frightened by small seizures? 

Scary stuff. I don't think she's old enough for that ...? She is responsive during the episodes. Will respond to her name being said, will respond to request to sit or lay down (but will jump up shortly after that again)

Her brain seems to work as good as ever - she is an extremely smart girl. Missing nothing, figures out everything. 

So I'm really hoping that this is not that.

• Gold Top Dog

janet_rose
      Could she be frightened by small seizures? 

babelfish
      She is responsive during the episodes.

The panting and pacing would be pre-seizure.  The seizure itself could last only seconds and could be very hard to identify.

I am not trying to scare you, but I don't what you to rule out seizures prematurely.

• Gold Top Dog

the liver's meridian is late night...1AM-3AM is the 'standard'

Do you happen to know what the kidney's meridian would be?

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you, I will put that on the list for the vet to check out.

• Gold Top Dog

babelfish

5-7 p.m. — Kidney

A full list of the meridian times - http://kerrchiropractic.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/the-meridian-organ-clock/

• Gold Top Dog
    babelfish

the liver's meridian is late night...1AM-3AM is the 'standard'

Janet beat me to it :) 5PM-7PM.

BUT I looked it up in 'Four Paws, Five Directions' to make sure and it said (I'm quoting from the book, here...)

The sound of the kidney is ''groaning'' and animals with arthritis may groan when getting up or down.

The sense organ affiliated with the kidney is the ear. Animals with kidney problems often develop sensitivity to noise.

The emotion affiliated with the kidney is fear.

It's a really neat book, I got mine used on Amazon and it was $10 or so. Has she seen a holistic vet? TCVM.com has a locator if you wanted to try that route. It's completely different than a traditional vet, but my 'regular' vet and the holistic vet work together quite nicely for what's best for Pirate.

• Gold Top Dog

Sounds like an awesome book!

If things connected with kidney are groaning, sensitivity to noise and fear, that would take kidney out of the equation. Will get the book.

Thank you all so much, i need to get to the bottom of this, because it just rips my hear out to see her like that and not being able to do anything about it.

• Gold Top Dog

Tried the Gas-X, no result. So the 'good' option seems to be out :-(

• Gold Top Dog

I'm sorry the Gas-X didn't help; it would have been great if that was the problem. I've been following this thread but haven't posted because everyone else has had great suggestions. This is probably a slim possibility at best. My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis about a month ago and some of her symptoms were similar to your dog's. She did not vomit or have diarrhea; instead, she was restless, panting and pacing around on a Friday night. She also wet everywhere she laid. I took her to the vet the next day and she prescribed an antibiotic for a UTI. It had been several months since Jessie's last blood panel so the vet wanted to recheck to make sure her kidneys were okay. The results were a surprise; her kidneys were fine but her pancreatitic enzymes were very high. The pain from her pancreas caused the pacing and wetting. I've been keeping your girl in my thoughts and hope you find the answer very soon.

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you for keeping my girl in your thoughts, she is very precious to us.

Yes, we are sorry too, it would have been great if it was something as simple as that.

She had multiple blood panels lately, couple times specifically for pancreatitis (other reasons). Each time the results have indicated that her pancreas was fine. The last blood panel had all values in the normal range. Did urinalysis several times, checked for blood gases several times. All the latest results were good and we were excited about everything being good.

This issue has been going off and on for several years now.

The vet is thinking starting her on melatonin supplement. So we shall see.

Also talked to somebody today who knows a dog whisperer who also works at identification of physical issues.. So I am waiting to get a contact and talk to him.