Beagle Puppy in heat. . .

[$provider]
    • Bronze

Beagle Puppy in heat. . .

I am new to this forum thing, and have a few questions. I have two 7 1/2 month old female Beagles. one of them is in heat right now, she started bleeding a few days ago and i was wondering if you can tell how much longer it will last? we are planning on having them fixed with in the next few months our vet wanted them over 6 months. also, will they eventually (if not spayed) become on the same cycle like humans? if this sounds dumb please dont laugh, because i really have no clue. one more thing, any tips on this diaper thing? we have her in the house with a diaper on so she isnt outside, but it makes her very sad, and when she sees me coming with it her tail goes between her legs, and she shakes.

• Gold Top Dog

As to the diaper, count your blessings.  Nora HATES her panties.  When she has them on she will attempt to go rubbing up against everything in an attempt to get them off.  When she is told no, she starts floor surfing.  Running at top speed, then slamming on to her side and rubbing and twisting for all she is worth.  Another option, some folks I know use little boy underwear and stick the tail through the flap.

This will last about 21 days.  Her vagina will likely swell considerably.  Since you have another bitch, she is likely to come in season right on the heels of this one.  So dont be surprised if you have this for up to six weeks or more total to get both girls through the cycle. 

Be EXTREMELY careful, do not let them out unattended.  A male dog (even a neutered one) can mount and tie a female in less than a minute, even faster if he has experience.

Some girls get clingy, some girls get snarky.  Dont be surprised if they start riding each other all the time.  They will also move up to other dogs and even people and put their butts to the individual.  The tail will flag (bend sideways) as they offer the option of breeding.  This is normal behavior just redirect them with a toy or some other distraction.

• Bronze

Thanks so much for the response, she has started swelling ALOT over the last day. it seems like Bonnie is teasing Lola ( the one in heat) because when i put the diaper on her Bonnie kinda dances around her and tries to play. 

So they cant be outside unattended for 21 days? or the bleeding lasts that long, im a little confused. i am lucky enough to work close to home so i have been able to come home every couple hourse to let them outside, and i go out with them and watch her.

the only thing i have really noticed about her behavior is that the two girls (litter mates) have started fighting, not alot but when Lola feels like Bonnie is taking her toys she gets really mean. any advice for this?

• Gold Top Dog
    BeautifulBeagles

the only thing i have really noticed about her behavior is that the two girls (litter mates) have started fighting, not alot but when Lola feels like Bonnie is taking her toys she gets really mean. any advice for this?

Separate them if needed especially when you can't supervise, and don't leave toys down for them when you can't supervise. You might even need to not leave toys down when they're together. They'll probably go back to their usual ways of playing after they are done with their heat cycles, but it is possible that they will continue to fight.
    • Gold Top Dog

21 days is the "average" amount of time from start of bleeding to stopping. You need to keep them under supervision until all evidence of the season is passed.  Dogs are vulnerable for a few days beyond in some cases.

• Gold Top Dog

The thing that no one tells you is that dogs are actually FERTILE the entire time of their heat.  Now there are parts of that when they are more 'interested' in finding a male than others, but they can get pregnant ANY time during that heat.  Also -- they drop up to 20 eggs (again no telling exaclty how many) -- and if left unattended (and if she was actually 'in heat' prior to you seeing bleeding she could honestly already be pregnant) they can tie with several males and get pregnant over and over again.

No, I'm not kidding.  Did you ever see puppies at a rescue that people claimed were 'littermates' and yet they looked like entirely different kinds of dogs?  That's how.  Momma was loose, and there can be several different males that sired pups.

That's where it can get dangerous -- because if there are different "litters" (each one by a different sire) during the same heat cycle, they will likely all be 'born' at once even tho one set of them are more mature than the others.  You can have still born pups that way. 

My point is this -- the 2nd female as MRV says can go in heat ANY TIME now -- and she may be in heat a few days before you even 'see' bleeding'.  So make sure you get this girl vetted in 4-5 weeks or sooner to see if you DO have puppies that you didn't realize happened.

Generally you have to wait 3 weeks beyond the end of estrus to spay.  Frankly, I think your vet is asking a LOT of you.  I'd get #2 spayed NOW and then get #1 spayed after you know heat is over.

Don't just let them out even if you are home.  Males can scent a bitch in heat up to 4-6 miles away -- and you'll have males hanging around your house you won't believe.  They can and will scale a 6 foot fence or higher to get to them.  (Males can tie thru a chain lnk fence too -- trust me - it CAN happen).

• Bronze

Thank you all again for your advice, i have been leaving both in the house so neither has been outside unattended we do have a chain link fence, but we check it regularly for our girls digging, and havent seen any signs of a dog going under or over. we are taking #2 in to get fixed but havent decided if it would be best to wait to have it done for both at the same time.

• Gold Top Dog

Vets will usually not spay a bitchin season, there is too high a risk of complications associated with bleeding.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs
    Frankly, I think your vet is asking a LOT of you.

I think she is lucky to have found a responsible vet who put the dogs best interests first,and one that does not treat their clients like a brainless numpty who cant responsibly keep a female in season away from male dogs!

calliecritturs
    They can and will scale a 6 foot fence or higher to get to them.Males can tie thru a chain lnk fence too -- trust me - it CAN happen).

I agree,this can easily be achieved.Persistant males can get through just about anything! 

calliecritturs
    Don't just let them out even if you are home.

You can still walk her,ON lead,but try and drive her to your walking destination,preferably at anti social hours and away from busy parks where dogs frequent.

calliecritturs
    Generally you have to wait 3 weeks beyond the end of estrus to spay. 

The best time to spay is half way between the seasons,generally 3mths after everything has settled is recommended. 

• Gold Top Dog

First I have to say, Bonnie and Lola are GREAT beagle names. So pretty!

we do have a chain link fence, but we check it regularly for our girls digging, and havent seen any signs of a dog going under or over.

No, no...they meant literally mate THROUGH the fence, as in through the holes...not going under or over. ;) Yep. Just checking it regularly isnt enough, you need to be outside with them watching. You wouldn't believe how quickly a random\ male dog (stray, broken loose, run out of his yard because he smelled her - which dozens within a huge radius will do once they can) can tie with a bitch in heat.

also, will they eventually (if not spayed) become on the same cycle like humans?

Do you mean two females living in close proximity getting into the same menstrual cycle eventually? Eh...possible....but wow that would be terrible, two bitches in heat at the same time running around your house! Snarkiness to the nth degree!

I also want to reiterate what others have said....a dog spends (simplified, very general version - dogs will differ but I just always though it was easier to remember it this way)    "a week coming into heat, a week in obvious heat, and a week going out of heat",    and can get pregnant at ANY time during those three weeks!! The bleeding time really varies, for some it is almost the full time, for others it is only middle

• Gold Top Dog

whtsthfrequency
     No, no...they meant literally mate THROUGH the fence, as in through the holes...not going under or over.

Yup! I've heard of dogs mating through crate wires,through chain link fences(plenty of room for that),pretty much any space big enough for the dog to get his willy through Surprise 

• Gold Top Dog
    I dont have much to add that has not already been said, except that I highly recommend getting the non seasoned girl in soon for her spay. It is not uncommon for one girl to bring the other girls in the house in season and what a pain that is! Trust me! As for the diapers... I have never had luck with them as my girls have learned if they pee in it, mom takes it off. Took two times before I caught on and gave up. When i have a girl in season, I keep them in an x-pen in the bathroom (except when out to potty), so any mess is easily cleaned up. I also have several intact males though, so I cant give my girls run of the house when they are in heat, so it is a bit different. But if she really really hates it, you can keep her keep in a room that is not carpeted.

Your girls are adorable by the way
    • Bronze
    I am Happy to let every one know that we had both puppies fixed, the first few days were horrible, but its been almost 4 weeks already and they are back to their happy selves! the only side effect is that one keeps humping the other. . .
    • Gold Top Dog

That is all about who is boss, not sexual related behaviors.  It can trigger fights in the future (because it is rude) so start working to interupt the behavior as soon as it starts.

• Puppy
    My 7 1/2 month old Beagle puppy was scheduled to be spayed yesterday, but she came into heat on Friday night. It has been a royal pain. My husband went to Petco for britches, but they were like bloomers and my puppy figured out how to go under a chair and rub them off. Additionally, she uses a doggy door, so I have spent the last seven days running out the door every time I heard her go outside, so I could get her britches off. After a couple days of that I decided to make my own more fitted britches for her. They work much better and she is not as sad; she will even stop and let me put them on without having to chase her around the dining room table. I guess I have about two more weeks and then her rescheduled surgery is in February. I do not want her to go through this again, or me either.