Parvo in mutts

• Gold Top Dog

Parvo in mutts

I was told by a trusted breeder that it is much less likely for mutts to get parvo because of the multiple breeds. It makes it easier to prevent illness.

Has anyone else heard this? I thought all dogs were septable.

• Gold Top Dog

LOL no....I've never heard that one. In fact, depending on the mix, say,...if the mutt has Rott in it..it might be MORE susceptible.

• Gold Top Dog

This might be a belief linked to "hybrid vigour" - the idea that mixed breeds are hardier because they could potentially get the stronger/healther parts of each parent and none of the flaws. 

As far as I know, there is no rule that can be attached to this...it's technically possible, but a mutt/mixed breed is just as likely to get all the weaker/more unhealthy genes of both its parents. 

• Gold Top Dog

Um yeah that's a load of hooey. Parvo is a virus and it doesn't matter what the breed or breeds, all dogs are susceptible. Personally, I would not trust a breeder that held that view, it's kind of bizarre. 

• Gold Top Dog

houndlove
    I would not trust a breeder that held that view, it's kind of bizar

I agree. It does not matter the breed, any puppy can get parvo. I've seen pure breeds, and mixed all come down with parvo. It can happen, and anyone who thinks it wont is full of crap.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

houndlove
    I would not trust a breeder that held that view, it's kind of bizar

I agree. It does not matter the breed, any puppy can get parvo. I've seen pure breeds, and mixed all come down with parvo. It can happen, and anyone who thinks it wont is full of crap.

I have seen purebreds come down with parvo - more times than I would have liked. but I have never seen a mutt come down with parvo. I'm sure it COULD happen, as with any K9, but is it also possible that it is less likely to happen in a mutt because the immune system is more effective?
    • Gold Top Dog

Golden Tails

I have seen purebreds come down with parvo - more times than I would have liked. but I have never seen a mutt come down with parvo. I'm sure it COULD happen, as with any K9, but is it also possible that it is less likely to happen in a mutt because the immune system is more effective?

I don't know, it may be true and it may be not true.  I can see the breeder laughing it off and not wanting to know the answer.  I can see those that solely rely on studies and scientific data to dismiss it and think its bizarre, just because a study was not done.   On this forum and in Ratsickle's home, it was only the pure bred that came down with parva.  So the answer to your question just has to remain unanswered.

• Gold Top Dog

It would be interesting to know a little more about the lineage of the"mutt(s)" .  Immunities are better in some organisms than others.  It is like a lot of bio/science data(needs study).   Exposure will help to increase immunities, and if you introduced an animal never exposed to the viral strain, unless they have a super intelligent immune system, they would get sick with the virus- which is what would be expected, but what if they didn't?? It means something else is fireproofing their system. For example, why did some die of smallpox in a family and others survived it? I know that there are going to be various reasons, but basically a whole family would be exposed and many died but not all.  Why?

• Gold Top Dog

Golden Tails
    but I have never seen a mutt come down with parvo

I work in a shelter, I have seen plenty of it. I've even seen an adult mixed breed dog come down with the virus. We got a whole bunch (20-some) puppies from a resuce up north, all mixed breeds- mutts, all positive for parvo. This was upon their arrival. I've seen pits (another mixed breed) come down with it too. Most of the cases come in with parvo, they do not, usually, pick it up during their stay.

• Puppy

I adopted a shep/dob mix at 9 weeks and it had Parvo.  Parvo is extremely contagious.

I was told by my vet that Shep/Dobs/Rotts don't do as well with Parvo.  I can't remember if she said they were more susceptible or whether their fatality rates were worse.  Can't remember.  This was 5 years ago.  He's great now.  There is some debate as to whether Parvo causes lasting damage.  Some think it may affect the immune system down the road.  My dog now has allergies but that could be just a Shepherd thing.  LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Out of the last 10 pups/dogs we've had in at work with Parvo, 7 were mixes. It hits all breeds and mixes equally.