Canine Viral Papillomas- Mouth Warts... Help!!

• Puppy
    After taking my 1 year old dog Bella to see vet COPV was diagnosed. COPV is Canine Oral Papilloma Virus (aka Warts). An article was published (Turkey 2008) about the use of Azithromycin in dogs with the Papilloma virus. Azithromycin is not an antiviral drug and COPV is a virus so I was hesitant in using it to treat COPV, but after reading the study it seems that the drug may attack a bacterial infection that causes the virus to run rampant or it may actually have an effect on COPV. I decided to get a prescription filled and take that course. The dosage was as follows:- 5mg per pound in a suspension (suspension is water based formula the vet can explain this to you)- Bella is 3lbs so her dosage was 15mg per day orally using a syringe plunger (without the needle)I gave her the Azithromycin every morning at around 9am with food. The study I read indicated they gave the dogs 10 days of medicine but I extended the run to 14 days because the virus hit her hard as a smaller dog. As you can see by the pictures by the 10th day I saw possible improvement and by the 12th day the Papillomas inside her mouth were gone and the larger one outside her mouth crusted up and I gave them a little tug and they ripped off. It was like pulling a loose tooth. It didn’t seem painful to Bella. Pictures can be found here:
    http://adihed.com/bella.htmlI wrote this article because a lot of people are dealing with this issue of COPV for months with their dogs and this is a great way to heal your dog quickly. I actually had my vet pull the study that I based this treatment so I could read it and ALL the dogs were cured within 15 days as Bella was. They also did the study using 17 breeds of dog so a wide spectrum was cured. The ones that were not on Azithromycin still had Papillomas after 2-3 months of follow up. As far as I can tell there is no reason not to use Azithromycin to cure your dog. I have read articles about the drug doing harm to livers but in this short term I don’t see that being an issue. I also read that it does a little havoc to the stomach. Bella being a 3lb dog did fine. On day 4 I noticed she didn’t want to eat in the morning but that could have been for other reasons. So she was not affected negatively by the drug. I also gave it to her in the morning so she would eat and drink right after to rid herself of the taste of the drug and digest it as well. I also got her daily Vitamins to take along with the drug every morning for the 14 days and I extended the run to 30 days. I did this to give a little boost to her immune system. The Vitamins were Pet Naturals Daily Best Soft Chews Dog Vitamins from PETCO.I hope this article helps anybody out there who is dealing with COPV. I did my research and I am glad I found the study that cured my dog and I wanted to share it with anyone out there is search of answers. Don’t bother with the holistic stuff they are peddling on the internet. Just talk to your vet and get a prescription filled so you can have a healthy happy dog! If you have any questions feel free to email me at adihed@hotmail.com.

• Puppy

After reading these blog entries on Lysine and noticing some small growths on our Bernese (85 lbs) we decided to try it as many human doctors also recommend the same treatment for lip sores. We gave him 500 mg twice a day and within a week they were noticeably smaller and completely gone within two weeks. It may have been because we noticed them very early and started this treatment right away. We dind't notice any side effects at all.

• Puppy

just wanted to let you know that I recently tried this. it only took about 3 weeks for them to go away 

here's what i did: my dog had large warts on his tongue and smaller ones forming around his lips and chin.   i started giving him l-lysine 2x day.  he's 85 lbs, so i started with 1 500mg 2x day. then after a week or so, i went to 2 500mg 2x day. within the following 2 weeks, the warts shrank and then "fell off". i noticed no side effects at all. over the next 2 weeks i went back down to 1 500mg 2x day.  its a process, but far less expensive than the vet treatment and visits!  good luck!!

• Puppy
    I have a 3 years old Chinese Pug. She had about 7-8 large warts in her mouth. I was searching for a treatment online and found this forum. I found the information very useful and decided to try the L-Lysine before I go to the vet and ask for the antibiotics. It works very fast, after 1 (!!!) 500mg there was a very noticeable improvement. I gave her the 500 mg for 3 days, by then only 2 were left. On the 4th day I gave her 2x500mg (morning and evening) and by the next day it was all gone. In total it took about 4-5 days. I gave her 1x500 for the next 2 days just to make sure it doesn’t come back. Today, 10 days later, there is no sign for any wart. Worked like a miracle. Treatment was fast and inexpensive. I highly recommend.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

• Puppy
    When I found those ugly, scary growths in my little guy's mouth (a 16 month old Scottie), I of course freaked out. I immediately jumped to the internet for answers and fortunately found this forum. All I can say is that the L-Lysine treatment was nothing short of miraculous. The growths started disintegrating after just 2 days. Very effective!!!!!!! And no adverse reactions!!!!!!
    • Puppy
    Last week I was dismayed to discover warts in my twelve month onl spaniels mouth. The vet quickly diagnosed papilomas and advised there was nothing to do other than wait it out. Having found this forum I bought some l-lysine tablets in the local GNC store. Within two days the warts were noticeably smaller and now, after only 5 days of taking the pills they have almost totally gone. No adverse reactions and one happy dog and owner. Thanks for the advice.
    • Gold Top Dog
    awesome! Glad they worked for ya! I definitely find they at least hasten the process :)
    • Puppy
    5 Months Later and the Warts are ALMOST GONE! Yeaaa! My 2 year old pup had a severe case of Papilloma Virus. I took her to the vet 5 months ago as soon as a little white bump appeared on her tongue. Vet confirmed is was Papilloma Virus and assured me it would go away on its own, no need for medicine or vitamins. Four months went by and 5 more growths appeared in her mouth (3 days after getting her annual vaccinations) . Went back to the vet, asked for solutions...They put her on Azithromycin for 12 days but that didn't help at all. The vet did not want to continue with Azithromycin so he just asked me to wait and keep an eye on the warts. No L-Lysine, Vitamin E etc. a couple weeks later I noticed 3 or 4 clusters of growths underneath my dogs tail. Some of the growths were bleeding so i totally freaked and took her to the vet....they said it was most likely the warts and that they had never seen anything like that before. The clusters had at least 10 or so warts. The next day the warts got 100 times worse...the anal area was completely covered. But still the Vet did not want to take any action...at this point i was more than frustrated so i started to take matters into my own hands and order Thuja pellets from an online site. My vet had no idea what Thuja was but after some research he said it may or may not help (genius, i know). After 10 days of Thuja pellets, 3 times a day my pup is finally getting back to normal. She only has one more oral wart and two under her tail....so much better than before. I am so happy that after 5 months we are finally seeing some improvement. This virus has definitely tested my patients...i never want to deal with it again!! If you are having this issue, i highly recommend using the Thuja Pellets...they were great!!
    • Gold Top Dog

JMZ321
    5 Months Later and the Warts are ALMOST GONE! Yeaaa! My 2 year old pup had a severe case of Papilloma Virus. I took her to the vet 5 months ago as soon as a little white bump appeared on her tongue. Vet confirmed is was Papilloma Virus and assured me it would go away on its own, no need for medicine or vitamins. Four months went by and 5 more growths appeared in her mouth (3 days after getting her annual vaccinations) . Went back to the vet, asked for solutions...They put her on Azithromycin for 12 days but that didn't help at all. The vet did not want to continue with Azithromycin so he just asked me to wait and keep an eye on the warts. No L-Lysine, Vitamin E etc. a couple weeks later I noticed 3 or 4 clusters of growths underneath my dogs tail. Some of the growths were bleeding so i totally freaked and took her to the vet....they said it was most likely the warts and that they had never seen anything like that before. The clusters had at least 10 or so warts. The next day the warts got 100 times worse...the anal area was completely covered. But still the Vet did not want to take any action...at this point i was more than frustrated so i started to take matters into my own hands and order Thuja pellets from an online site. My vet had no idea what Thuja was but after some research he said it may or may not help (genius, i know). After 10 days of Thuja pellets, 3 times a day my pup is finally getting back to normal. She only has one more oral wart and two under her tail....so much better than before. I am so happy that after 5 months we are finally seeing some improvement. This virus has definitely tested my patients...i never want to deal with it again!! If you are having this issue, i highly recommend using the Thuja Pellets...they were great!!

Wow, sorry this has been such an ordeal.  In honesty, I would be first off, looking for another vet -- maybe not to leave this vet, but a holistic vet to give you some support!  http://www.tcvm.com -- there's a locator on the left. 

You don't want the one token holistic vet who does acupuncture in a large urban practice.  I'd far rather deal with the small "on their own" TCVM vet who believes SO strongly in acupuncture, etc. that they are willing to put their whole practice on it.

But in your case -- I'd be thinking this dog needs some help immune-wise.  There's something just not there if this animal's body couldn't throw off papilloma warts to this degree.

Feel free to email me if I can help.