I'm getting confused on the timing here -- but it IS this morning (Sunday) that he's throwing up water? But he DID poop this morning? (sorry -- I gotta be absolutely sure here that we have understanding because it's critical here)
Has he been defecating (pooping) every day? And there wasn't plastic in that??
See when there is an "obstruction" -- that means the intestines. And the problem was you took him to the vet too soon for them to take it seriously. (and frankly, you did the right thing and shouldn't have been blown off in an expensive fashion for that!)
Let me explain what I mean. When a dog eats something that obstructs them (blocks the intestine) -- you don't SEE the results of that for ... well, about 12-24 hours. They will cease pooping. The body will get rid of what was already IN the intestines, but nothing further will move thru.
Usually the dog continues to eat and drink. Depending on where the obstruction is, what happens is the intestines fill up from the point where the object is BACK to the stomach. Because nothing can move thru the intestines, food spills back into the stomach and stomach acid will then continue to pour into the stomach in an attempt to 'digest' whatever is there. But since the intestines are blocked stuff stays IN the stomach and they throw it up.
Watch carefully to see if the dog poops at all (and can you remember if what he DID poop was normal looking? That's important too.)
It almost sounds to me like there is something in the stomach itself -- how much has the dog eaten?? Is the dog holding down food?
How much water did the dog drink when it threw up? Could it possibly have drunk a LOT which triggered the stomach to throw it up.
That's not to say there isn't a problem -- the big deal is for the vet to find WHERE the problem is, so being able to tell the vet the answers to questions like this can help.
I'm not sure plastic is going to show on an x-ray -- it depends on how big a piece it is and how thick. Metal will show, cloth won't. But I honestly don't know IF plastic will show even if they take 99 x-rays.
That would be my next question to the vet. If the object itself doesn't show, then the ONLY thing an x-ray is going to show is where food has stopped going thru (like if the intestines are now clear TOTALLY from the stomach to the anus then the obstruction might be in the stomach). But that would likely mean that the obstruction has 'shifted'. If it was in the stomach all weekend the dog wouldn't have been able to eat and keep ANYTHING down.
Obstructions are very difficult to find. Often a vet will move to an ultrasound because it's easier to find things that won't show on an x-ray. But they ARE expensive.
The other possibility is that it is entirely unrelated to the plastic. That could simply be a "red herring" (something totally unrelated that's simply complicating and 'hiding' the real answer).
So I've got to ask a few questions here just to establish a baseline:
1. How much is the dog eating? Is he eating normally? Has he eaten this morning and kept it down? Will he eat anything *other* than his normal food (it can be telling if the dog will willingly eat a bit of steak or mashed potato but won't eat regular kibble).
2. How much is the dog drinking? Have you noticed him drinking MORE since you moved? Has he drunk more this weekend than normal? Is he urinating/peeing like normal?
3. After he threw up the water, has he tried to drink ANY more. Put down a totally different bowl with fresh, clean water. And particularly -- if at all possible, put down bottled water for him rather than tap water.
IF he can't hold down ANY Water -- that's a vet emergency because he will dehydrate fast.
Now understand, please -- we don't know your new vet at all. BUT prices in Jersey and prices in Miami aren't going to be the same. Even the price of an office visit will be different. And it's going to depend on where in NJ you are. If you are in the City or surrounding suburbs, it's going to BE more expensive. But if you are living further south in a less urban area, that will be different (there are parts of NJ in west central NJ that are pretty darned rural!!)
It sounds to me like the dog is having some emotional reaction to the move -- that does happen. But that means you have to be far more vigilant. Crate the dog if you aren't with it. They will often change when they go thru such an upheaval -- the dog may be looking thru things to find smells of 'Home' (Miami) or maybe he's just feeling unsettled and needs time to adjust with you.