Last night I caught my dog eating mushrooms in the backyard. I had never seen them before but we had been out of town (the dogs were with us) and when we returned I guess they had popped up while we were gone and she found them the first time she went out since we had gotten home. I quickly searched the yard and found at least 4 different looking mushroom types all over our yard near the spot where an Elm tree was taken out just about 1 year ago because it had Dutch Elm. (we're in MN and we've had a lot of rain lately. I'm assuming this along with us being gone for awhile and the grass getting longer was just the right environment to grow the dang mushrooms.)
Anyways, I wasn't taking any chances, it looked like she had been munching on several. We went to the ER vet (our regular vet was closed already) and they induced vomiting, and gave activated charcoal. This morning she seems to be herself, acting normally, etc... Nothing unusual, so I *think* we're safe, BUT:
1) no one seems to know how to get rid of the mushrooms so this doesn't happen again. (talked with several people working at the vet's office, they had no idea, and I've been searching the internet with no luck - it seems that the mushrooms will be there as long as the rotting roots are still underground. This was a huge tree, so I don't think digging it all up is even feasible or an option)
2) we don't really know if what happened last night is over for sure and we're in the clear in terms of her health, or can there be effects later on...
3) there are so many different kinds of mushrooms, can we even get them identified properly to know if there is a threat, or what level of danger they are? (We have a large fenced in yard and the dogs ususally spend about 1/3 of the day, weather permitting, outside - maye not anymore!
The mushrooms (right now) seem to be all over about half the yard! UGH! From what I've learned in the past day or so, only 1% of all mushrooms are safe/edible and some can kill a person with one bite. So I'm very worried!
Please help, has anyone else experienced this or do you have any ideas/suggestions/advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!