Okay, on another board a person posted that they had two good friends who had adopted heart worm positive dogs, and gave them Diatomaceous Earth and in 3-4 months they tested negative for heart worms and after a couple of years are still heart worm free.
Well, I had never heard of that stuff until the other day on this forum, so had no idea what it could do--except kill roaches, fleas, and ticks, etc. So I googled it and found a lot of information. It is not toxic in any way. It kills by cutting the outside of the bugs and they dehydrate and die The sharp edges that slice open the bugs is to minute to harm us or animals when ingested...is perfectly safe.
It can be used to rid animls of parasites in their intestines. Many use it on horses, cows, dogs, cats, etc, etc.Is mixed in with their food. Also, it is safe to put on your animals for fleas and ticks. It is a dust and does say to avoid breathing it and do not allow your animsl to breath it or let it get into their eyes.
Okay, the problem I have is I checked about 2 dozen of the sites and not once did I see it could be used for heart worms. And I don't see how it could. It is a non toxic (or poison) powder that is swallowed and wipes out worms in the intestines bc slicing them so they die. But heartworms are not in the intestines. They are in the blood system, the heart, lungs. So how does this kill them?
Has anyone ever seen that it will kill heart worms? If so it would be a much safer way to do the job. But i just can't see how it could. And I would hate for people to find their dog heart worm positive and go this route if it doesn't work. I do plan to try it on my dogs and in my yard.