Possible allergy issues

• Gold Top Dog

Possible allergy issues

Could you please share your advice/experience with allergies? Sadie is a 2 1/2 year old hound mix. Recently, she got a hot spot on her hind quarter, rash/pinkness on her belly and underarm area. She also has various itchy, pink spots on other parts of her body. (like a little cut on her leg) I took her to the vet. He said it was allergies, but didn't suggest testing her or anything yet. He prescribed douxo for her hot spot, and a once a week allergy shampoo. Things aren't really improving. The rashness/pinkness seems to come and go. I feel like her fur has thinned out and she is shedding more too.

What has been your experience with allergies as far as diagnosis and outcome? Thanks.

• Gold Top Dog

There are a ton of things that she could have developed an allergy to, however, I always look to food first.  These are not always allergies, sometimes just sensitivities, but the result can be the same.

Start by reading the label of her current food.  If there is corn, wheat or soy on the label, that could be the problem.  Glutens are also a biggie and rice gluten is often used.  A good quality food might help.  Grain free is good, or just a very good quality food like Blue Buffalo.  Of the super premiums, that's the one I use for my German shepherd who has very sensitive skin.  I used their "almost" grain free when the grain that they used was oatmeal, but then they made it totally grain free, and the "outcome" was not pretty...especially when you have SIX GSD's, as we did at the time....cleaning up explosive diarrhea X 6 is no fun!

There are many other excellent foods, but Blue is the one I'm most familiar with.   If you find that her current food contains any of the "suspect" things, go to a pet store and start reading labels.  Any named meat meal is good....meal is the meat with the water and bones removed, thereby providing a more powerful protein punch.  Meat meal and meat should be the one and two ingredients in a good quality food.  You might go into sticker shock....the really good foods are far more expensive.  BUT, you will feed far less.  My 70 lb GSD eats 2 cups of blue per day.  If I were feeding him Brand X, it would more likely be 6 or 7 cups per day.  While Brand X is substantially cheaper, if you do the math you'll find that a super premium just might be cheaper or at least not much more, when you consider how much less you are feeding.   A fifteen pound bag lasts my boy well over a month and thats about $32.00.

I obviously can't rule out enviromental allergies, but as I said, I always look at the food first and foremost.  That's quite honestly the quickest "fix" in many cases.  If you need to change foods, go slow (otherwise you can get explosive results)....25% new to 75% old food for a few days, then 50/50 for a few more, then 75% new to 25% old, and finally, all new.  If you feel the need to make the switch more quickly, pick up a few cans of plain pumpkin....NOT the pre-spiced pumpkin pie mix and add a couple tablespoons to her food.  Pumpkin is basically Pepto for dogs.....something to do with the specific type of fiber that it contains will help with either too loose or two hard stool.

Please feel free to message me if I can be of further help, or just post here.

• Gold Top Dog

She is eating Canidae Chicken, so a good food, but not to say she couldn't be allergic to something in it.  The only other thing I ever feed her is peanut butter.  Food could be the culprit.  Also wondering if it could be my leather couch or what I use to clean it.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, I strongly recommend testing, because if she does have allergies what better way to know what to avoid, it could be food, environmental or both. I had a Rottie that was scratching and just a mess, normally you would have them  eat lamb and rice, turns out she was actually allergic to lamb. I'm glad I did the testing so I knew what foods and what environmental things to avoid. She was allergic to grasses, so if I was out I always made sure to have something for her lay on or would giver her a good bath when we got home. Knowlege is power. The testing they do today will tell you so much. This way you'll know what's going on and she can live happy and most important be comfortable I can't imagine being itchy all the time. If your vet won't do the testing then find another vet. Keep us posted.

• Gold Top Dog

I can't comment on the Canidae chicken, since it's been years since I've read one of their labels.  At one time I believe that Canidae was manufactured by Diamond and they have a terrible reputation and history of cross contamination.  Are corn, wheat, soy or any glutens on the label?  Peanut butter shouldn't be a problem, but then, it shouldn't be a problem for all the humans who are allergic to it either.  I'm not a vet, nor a canine nutritionalist.......just speaking from my own years of experience.

While I agree that testing is a good idea, I'd try a food change FIRST because often that does the trick and you don't have to put the poor pup through unneeded tests.

• Gold Top Dog

Here are the ingredients Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite), papaya, pineapple.

• Gold Top Dog

Is it a simple blood test?  How much did it cost?

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, I give her fish oil with dinner too.