Doesn't like dry food?!

• Silver

Doesn't like dry food?!

image.jpg
    We just brought a new dog home, Bailey, and she was a picky eater at the Humane society that she was at before she came to me. She is on Purina Dog Chow and we are going to switch her over to Blue Buffalo senior starting on Wednesday. When she first came to us it would take some coaxing to get her to eat but she would eventually gobble it up. Then last night she went over and sniffed it, got a drink of water, and walked away. We do give treats and I was doing some reasurch on this and one page said that if you give a lot of treats or table scraps then the dog will wait for those because they are more yummy than the normal dog food. What should I do? I know she is healthy and she is her normal self except she doesn't want to eat her dry dog food. She did just have her teeth cleaned so it's not her teeth. Any suggestions on what I should do? What is something I could maybe add to her food? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    • Silver

Update: I brought her a handful of food (she was sleeping on the carpet in the living room) and I set it on the floor and she ate it so I brought out the bowl and did the same thing and she ate all her food that way! So I washed out the bowl and put it back in its normal spot. Why did she eat it off the floor and not from in the bowl???

• Gold Top Dog

She has had her routine upset a couple times now, and it would not be unnatural for her to be a reluctant eater for a while.  She needs time to adjust and feel comfortable in her new home.  Dogs will not starve themselves, so unless you have other dogs, I would just leave the food down for her to eat when she wants to.  I usually add a bit of canned food to my dog's dish....for no other reason than the fact that it makes me feel like it smells better, lol!

• Gold Top Dog

@marty_ga
    She has had her routine upset a couple times now, and it would not be unnatural for her to be a reluctant eater for a while.  She needs time to adjust and feel comfortable in her new home.  

I agree; Stuart did the same thing for the first week after we brought him home. Dogs are sensitive to changes in their routine. Besides adjusting to a new environment, their appetite can also be affected by things such as a change in their owner's work schedule, a visit by the plumber, etc.

I do not want to give you advice on what you're feeding Bailey but since you're going to use Blue Buffalo I just wanted to make you aware that Purina is suing Blue Buffalo for false advertising;    Pet Food Honesty | The Complaint

Purina claims that testing done by an independent lab has found poultry by products and corn in Blue Buffalo products, ingredients that Blue Buffalo claims they do not include in their foods. Blue Buffalo filed a counter suit. I think it's wonderful that you adopted an older dog; congratulations!

• Puppy

Reduce the amount of dry food in the usual food to a minimum that the dog will not notice, and increase it very gradually, literally a few granules. Soaking dry food sometimes helps - so it becomes more fragrant and texture similar to wet food. After the dog begins to eat the dry food offered to her as part of the usual diet, begin to gradually increase the number of granules while reducing the total amount of the usual food. With this approach, the dog can be switched to dry food in 1-2 weeks. The term may extend depending on the stubbornness of the pet, but sooner or later a positive result is guaranteed. I also read an interesting article about dry and wet food.  thepets.net/wet-vs-dry-dog-food

• Puppy

Dry food is good for health of dogs.

• Puppy

We can relate to this! Our little Yorkie hates dry food when eating it on its own.  However, When we mixed dry and wet food in his bowl, he ate it without issue. Why not give this a try?

• Puppy

A lot of pet owner suffers from this problem. If your dog don't like to eat dry food, then you can mix it with normal foods. Make sure the amount of food should be little at first. Day by day you can increase the amount. Hopefully, it will help you.

• Puppy

@orangeversion

Well said by you guys. Very good suggestion.

• Puppy

Dry food is good for health of dogs. visit to read more in detail

dogsfreedom.com/best-dry-dog-food-five-top-quality-choices-and-reviews