Crystals and Protein in urine

• Gold Top Dog

baiceyjo7
    IShe has not had an ACTH stim test done to check for Addisons, and I don't know how they test for Cushings

They use the ACTH stimulation test for Cushings too. There is a simple urine test that can be done first. If it's positive, your dog may have Cushings, but if it's negative, your dog does not have Cushings. You collect the urine in a setting where the dog is relaxed, such as your own yard, then take it to your vet for testing.

baiceyjo7

Keeping our fingers and paws crossed that we can get to the bottom of things more tomorrow.

We'll keep ours crossed too;(((hugs))).

• Gold Top Dog

baiceyjo7
    From what I read, spilling of protein into the urine causes damage to the glomeruli in the kidney which eventually causes permanant damage.  The sooner you can stop the spillage, the better the outcome.

I don't think you can completely stop the spillage without addressing the underlying problem (if one can be identified).  A moderate-protein diet would minimize damage without causing the malnutrition of a low-protein diet.  ACE inhibitors (see below) may be appropriate.

Keep in mind that the nutrition training of most vets is minimal and comes from the dog food manufacturers. 

http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneyprotein.html
    "Following are links to a series of articles and studies on the roles of protein and phosphorus in the diet of dogs with kidney disease, supporting the idea that reducing protein in the diet does not slow the progression of kidney disease nor prolong life, and is unnecessary unless it is needed to relieve symptoms of uremia (very high creatinine and BUN), or if your dog has significant proteinuria (protein in the urine, in which case moderate but not severe protein restriction is indicated)."

Proteinuria (Excessive Protein in Urine) in Dogs
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/proteinuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx
    "There are a number of disorders associated with glomerular proteinuria including:
  • Immune-mediated disease (systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Infectious diseases such as ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease and chronic bacterial infections
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease)
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Hereditary forms
  • Inflammatory (from circulating antigen-antibody complexes, heartworm disease)
  • Amyloidosis (the deposition of a body protein, amyloid A, the result of a chronic inflammatory process)

Animals with glomerular proteinuria are described as having glomerulonephritis or a glomerulonephropathy."
  • Diagnostic Approach to Proteinuria
    http://www.pets4homeopathy.com/proteinuria.html
    "Recently, the practice of protein restriction has been questioned in certain types of GN (glomerulonephritis) in humans. It may be that higher protein diets can be fed without inducing a greater magnitude of proteinuria if they are used together with an angiotensin-converting-enzyme (ACE) inhibitor or an anti-thrombin antagonist.

ACE inhibitors have been shown to reduce proteinuria in both dogs and humans with GN. In humans, improvements in lipid abnormalities (hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipoproteinaemia) are also clearly demonstrated."

• Silver

We saw our usual vet yesterday and had a much more thorough conversation.  I can absolutely pursue further testing if I so desire, but a renal biopsy is very invasive.  Bailey is already high risk for anesthesia because of her mitral valve disease.  I am opting to just do medical management at this time.  She has primary kidney disease and while another disease could be contributing to it, to find it may take extensive testing.  She is almost 11 and is completely happy and asymptomatic.  We are going to start her on an ACE inhibitor, Benazapril, and she sees the TCMV this evening.  I think the TCMV will shed a lot of light on the subject for us, or at least I am hoping so.  I am trying to keep a positive attitude about this but just feel kind of down in the dumps.  She is my first girl and with all of the other crap we have been through this year with Josey, it just really takes a toll on me emotionally.  I am just so thankful that, for the most part, all three of my girls are happy right now.

• Gold Top Dog

If you need any help just holler -- I'm hoping the TCVM vet can help you like we got for Foxy -- it was astounding how well his kidneys held once he was on the herbs.