Improvements to DOG.community

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Improvements to DOG.community

Hello Community! You will notice many changes in the look and feel of the DOG.community. We want to make your experience a little bit better! Here is what's new.

New Suggested Videos Widget: This new feature pulls our most popular videos through from our DOG.com video blog. This will make it easier for users to see which videos are currently trending on DOG.com !

LOGGING IN: Logging in to the community is now even easier! The connect feature with Dog.com on the login page/dialogue was fixed to improve the overall log in experience.

AUTO QUOTE:We think this change will make your Dog.community experience even better!

How it used to work: To include the original post in your reply you were required to use the Custom Text Editor. This feature was difficult to access in the previous version, requiring an extra click (plus it was not easy to find!).

How it will work: We are happy to announce that you will now be able to utilize the Post Reply button, which will automatically quote the post you are responding to. All you have to do is write your response!

If you would like to reply to a post but do not want the original post included, simply highlight the quote and delete it!

NEW FORUM VIEW: As you know, our goal at the DOG.community is to provide dog lovers with a place to learn and engage with others who have a passion for all things horse. To make your experience even better, we have made some changes to the format of our forum. When you enter our forum section you will see this: 

All sections of the forum are broken up into subject areas that hold lively discussions and information. They are:

-Health & Grooming

-Nutrition & Exercise

- Training & Behavior

-Life Stages

-News & Entertainment

-Choosing A Dog

-Rescue & Help

Within each of these sections on the left part of your screen, you will notice that there are subcategories. Within these subcategories, you will be able to read existing discussions as well as create new ones. 

The right section provides community members a view of the last post that was contributed to this topic. 

Post a New Topic- To post a new topic within a category, select “New Topic.” This will automatically file your post under the category that you have selected so that other community member will be able to interact and engage with your post!

To post a reply-  To post a reply on an existing topic, click on the topic. There will be a section at the bottom for which to add your reply. 

We have done enough talking. Now it is time to hear from you, the community! We want to know how you feel about the new look of the forum and your suggestions on how to improve your experience. Take a look at the new layout here.  

Please take some time to look around and test it out! Feel free to leave these suggestions on this post. 

• Gold Top Dog

Please make it easier to find things.  I don't have the time or patience to search for threads.  The only place I post now is in the daily chat and only there because my email notifications are working.....the link provided is the only way I can find anything.

Can you get rid of the automatic quoting of the last post in our responses?

Why do we have to use custom text editor to add a smiley?

We have lost so many posters who were a valuable part of our community.  Perhaps YOU could reach out to them and invite them to return.  I'm just thinking that since ya'll made the mess, you maybe could fix it.....

• Gold Top Dog

Since I'll never be one to like or even tolerate the "busy-ness" of the main page with all the photos and graphics and what I feel is more clutter, my method of navigating to where I want to go has been to immediately click on the "Discussion Forums" button.  That worked quite well for my preferred style of visual organization:  It was more list-like, and the threads with the most recent replies were at the top of the page/list.

Even if there are several new threads started each day, the fact is that other than the "Daily/Weekly Chat" thread, there are only 1 or 2 threads that have new replies posted to them.  So, it was easy to find the most active thread (usually the chat) and click right on it.

The new appearance of the screen after clicking on "Discussion Forums" is far more cumbersome.  I understand there's a bit of value to the left side of the screen:  Seeing the main categories, broken down into all their "sub-categories."  However, the right side of the screen is not useful.  Yes, it shows who started a given thread (which is nice), but the date/time-frame listed next to that is the date/time-frame of when that person STARTED the thread, NOT the most recent post.  So, for example, when I scrolled down and finally found the weekly chat we'd been posting on this past week, it says "6 days ago."  There's no reference to the fact that Glenda's post had been the one most recently made when I logged in just now.  

I hope this is making sense, how I'm describing it.  But I have to say that the prior format of the Discussion Forums page was far easier to find the most active posts.  If the right side of this new format was corrected to show the date/time of the most recent post, I guess I could get used to scrolling down all those left side categories to find the daily chat or whatever other thread happens to be active on a given day.  But as long as the amount of active posters stays as low as it is, all those categories and details about older threads aren't very useful (except maybe for a lurker who just wants to research a topic for him/herself, such as a medical condition or training issue, etc -- without posting anything new).

• Gold Top Dog

What the gosh darn happened? Hadn't been here for a few days and came on and wow. I was totally surprised and confused. Since your original big change, I used to only go to "Discussion Forums" and daily chat, just as Tracy said. I came here today and wow...pretty much blown away by it all. Just don't have the time to try to keep figuring out new forum formats. I know you must be trying to do what is best for you and for us but it is just such a pain and time consuming trying to learn new forum formats. Sorry I have no suggestions.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thank you all for your feedback. We serenely appreciate all of your suggestions up until this point on the community. We have sent all of your comments over to our developing team to address. I appreciate you sticking with us and being vocal about your thoughts on the changes . We take what your feedback seriously and are working to make a more functional community for everyone to enjoy!  Glenmar: To your point, at this time, if you would like to reply with a smilie but do not want to use the customer text editor you can do so my typing it like this: [  : )  ] (with no extra spaces)  Again, thanks for your thoughts about all of the changes that we have made in the last few days!

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the idea, but.......I hate to admit that I'm not a spring chicken, wasn't born with a mouse in my hand, and simply am not all that computer savy.  Plus, remembering how to make a smile?  Not gonna happen with this old broad unless I put a sticky on my monitor!  One of the reasons I don't spend much time on facebook is that the young "kids" (those under 45 or so) know how to do all sorts of stuff that I simply can't remember how to do.  And I hate feeling like a dinosaur! Embarrassed

The forum now is a heck of a lot more work than it ever was and honestly, I'm thinking that's why so few people post these days.

• Gold Top Dog

I had been using the "sign in with Facebook" feature.  That now appears to be broken.  When I try to use it an error message comes up.

I also used the Discussion Forum button and liked that the newest responded to thread was at the top, just under whatever was stickied.  That made it nice to very quickly skim through and see if there was any threads I cared to read (which very rarely occurs any more, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done about that).  This latest change just feels like it will take more navigating, and I probably won't bother.  I pretty well just stick to the daily chat thread.

• Gold Top Dog

The **only** reason I haven't been posting much is I've had too many health issues in the past year and I just plain have less time.

Glenda, it **all** takes a little getting used to, but unfortunately I have discovered time never marches backward and change happens.  I can whine about it  (and wine upsets my stomach)  or just walk thru it.   All of a sudden I'm 60 and my parents are 90.  If THAT doesn't make a person feel "behind the times" nothing will!

I have never ever been good at the "daily chat" stuff -- no one finds what *I* do interesting (and why should they), and I'm better at the subjects I can offer something constructive on.  It really does grieve me that I haven't been able to spend more time on here, but missing as much work as I have means I've had to work harder, better and faster to keep the job (that pays the vet bills?)

in honesty to ME the changes are welcome.  I *LIKE* being able to quote the post I'm responding to.  And all you have to do is block it and delete it. if you don't want it.  

And honestly?  I think it's hugely helpful to know when a very OLD thread is suddenly generating new posts.  so the dates to the right have their use.

And essentially -- trying to improve the accessibility and  give folks a list of what they haven't responded to  ... that's something everyone has wanted (at least that I've seen).

• Gold Top Dog

Callie, this isn't a new job skill.  The forum is relaxation, enjoyment and education for me.  Maybe that's why I fuss.  I don't WANT to have to learn new stuff just to participate in the forum, nor do I have time to hunt for everything.  If not for the notifications, I wouldn't post anywhere....and didn't when I wasn't getting them simply because I never could find anything.

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe if people would spend more time participating in threads or even *gasp* starting new threads for discussion, they wouldn't have so much time to complain about the changes. I wasn't happy with the changes but I've adjusted. I'm older than Glenda and Callie. Age has nothing to do with being able to adjust. The people who don't post here any more left long before the forum changes. Now the discussion threads are practically dead. I've tried to start a few but even the old time members rarely bothered to respond or give any input. Tracy and Tina did but that was about it. I miss the discussions we used to have. I come here mostly to keep up with my friends here who aren't on FB. Every old time member here has owned dogs for a long time. They should all have something to share or talk about in regards to dogs. Where is the input from all of you old time members? When was the last time YOU commented on a thread that wasn't Chat? If all you want to do is read chat threads, then why complain about the changes? It's not that hard to find the chat thread each day. Things aren't going back to the old forum style no matter how much complaining and whining goes on.

• Gold Top Dog

Very true.  I was mostly commenting here to say the log in w/ FB was broken.

While I don't think all the changes have been for the best, I have pretty much got it figured out.  I do miss how active the forum used to be, but like Jackie said, a lot of that changed before the forum change due to other factors.  I see some attempts at trying to revive some discussion, but it just seems to fall flat.  

And I contribute to that failure as much as the rest of us.  I come here throughout the day, mostly read chat, and leave w/o saying anything.  I could give several reasons for why that is, but it doesn't change the fact that if a large percentage are doing the same thing (and of course everyone has their reasons) we aren't going to get the community back.

• Gold Top Dog

Steph, I wasn't referring to your comment about the FB log in problem.  That to me is a legitimate "complaint" if you want to call it that.  My little rant was more about how some people can't seem to come to grips with any change. I'm as happy as a clam if software never changes or gets updated. That never happens though. lol  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

@TheDogHouseBCMPD

I had been using the "sign in with Facebook" feature. That now appears to be broken. When I try to use it an error message comes up.

I also used the Discussion Forum button and liked that the newest responded to thread was at the top, just under whatever was stickied. That made it nice to very quickly skim through and see if there was any threads I cared to read (which very rarely occurs any more, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done about that). This latest change just feels like it will take more navigating, and I probably won't bother. I pretty well just stick to the daily chat thread.

Thanks for your feedback! Forwarding your concerns including those about the Facebook log in feature. I will update you as more information becomes available.

• Gold Top Dog

Might be just that attitude that is the reason many of us don't post other than in chat.  Being put down for sharing an opinion makes it not so pleasant to share one.  And if you can't FIND threads, how are you supposed to post in them?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

@glenmar

Might be just that attitude that is the reason many of us don't post other than in chat. Being put down for sharing an opinion makes it not so pleasant to share one. And if you can't FIND threads, how are you supposed to post in them?

I just wanted to take moment to thank everyone for their feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve everyone's experience on our Community. We appreciate you posting and adding to all threads when you can. We want to make this a place for dog lovers to come for fun, information and help.