I Loved You Best, A Poem

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Gold Top Dog

I Loved You Best, A Poem

So this is where we part, My Friend,
    and you'll run on, around the bend,
    gone from sight, but not from mind,
    new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
    life measures quality, not its length.
    One long embrace before you leave,
    share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
    but they be they, and they aren't you.
    And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
    will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
    the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
    And as you journey to your final rest,
    take with you this...I loved you best.

• Gold Top Dog
    That's beautiful and sad all at the same time. 

I miss my Shari more than ever...[sm=cry.gif]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have tears! These poems always do that to me. Sometimes, my mind wanders to that place where I think what if something happened to Ash or I think about the time when she'll have to cross the bridge and I literally break down. The pain of just thinking about it too much to bear. I can't imagine my life without her.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I used to do the same thing ashland... thinking of that time and how horrible it would be.  It happened to me 4 months ago Wednesday and I'm still broken hearted.  Poems like this always make me cry... and miss FeFe even more.  [:(]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Another beautiful poem to print and include in my scrapbook for Tonka.  Words like that have always brought tears to my eyes, even when Tonka was with us.    As you said Ashland, just thinking about life with him was enough to bring me to tears.  Now that he's gone, reading something like that touches me even more deeply.  As sad as it is to read it, there's some kind of strange comfort in being overwhelmed with emotion, feeling his absence so vividly. 

Thanks for sharing it, Lori.