Discussion- Standard vs Retractable: Which Leash Do You Prefer?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Discussion- Standard vs Retractable: Which Leash Do You Prefer?

Both have their advantages, do you prefer one over the other? Is there one that you find works better for you and your dogs? Ready? Set? Discuss! 

• Silver

I like retractable. It is a whole lot easier to keep Miles exactly where I want him. Sometimes though, if I know I am going to a place where I only want a short leash, I will put him on a standard just to keep myself at ease.

• Gold Top Dog

I like both, depending on where we are. Retractable leashes are often misused by people but like anything, it's all up to the person holding the end of the leash.  I see a lot of people at the crowded farmer's market using retractable leashes. They aren't paying any attention to where their dog is or what it's doing. That can be so dangerous for the dogs and people passing by.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't like when the average person uses a retractable leash for reasons like Jackie described.  Personally I've only had to use one when dog-sitting for friends.  I don't like how they feel in my hand; I feel like I could drop it, and gripping the plastic handle is uncomfortable for me.  We have many leashes for Ruby, all lengths and thicknesses, but all are nylon or leather.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Not a fan. My dog is far too large and strong to think it would stand up to the challenge.  I am sue someone uses them responsibly however I haven't met that person. Most of the people using them seem to have small dogs and have no control. Sorry, I will leave it there, been nothing but bad experiences for us

• Gold Top Dog

@tacran
     I don't like how they feel in my hand; I feel like I could drop it, and gripping the plastic handle is uncomfortable for me.

Me too. I used one once, when dog-sitting for a friend. I found that the latch was difficult to engage. I used my own leash after that.

Like others have said, I see many people using them inappropriately. It scares the crap out of me when I see someone with a dog on a flexi-lead and they are approaching the street when the dog starts to cross because the owner hasn't reeled the dog in. Or when little kids are allowed to walk the dog using the flexi-lead.