Rupert Ole 08/08/04 - 01/20/15

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the theme of a work of poetic prose written some time between 1980 and 1992, whose original creator is unknown. The theme is of an other-worldly place to which a pet goes upon its death, eventually to be reunited with its owner.
    • Gold Top Dog

Rupert Ole 08/08/04 - 01/20/15

I can't believe I'm writing this, and I'm going to keep it short.

We lost Rupert yesterday. It was very unexpected. We're not sure exactly what caused it, but the vet thinks that some birdseed that he had eaten from on the ground under the feeders was rancid or had something toxic/poisonous on it. Or possibly something in bird droppings. I don't know. It doesn't matter now anyway.

Words cannot describe how horribly painful this has been for me. He was the most amazing dog, so absolutely perfect. I am beyond crushed. The house is so empty without him.
    • Gold Top Dog

Janice, when I saw the news in Marty's post yesterday, my heart just broke.  As I said then, Rupert has been one of my favorites since I first joined the forum so many years ago.  I have loved all the photos you posted with his silly face and goofy poses, and the sweet way he appeared in pics with your girls.  They must be devastated, too.

Even though you can't find the words to describe how painful it is, I think I understand what you feel because I experienced a similar loss of words when Tonka died.  It was unlike anything I'd experienced before, and the depth of the grief made it hard to function at the most basic levels.  Just breathing is difficult, especially in the early days.  

You've been in my thoughts and my heart ever since I read the post.  When I told my husband last night, he was so saddened.  I always showed him your pics, and when we see Vizslas, we always say, "There's a Rupert dog!"  I will say that for the rest of my days, so in a way a part of Rupert will be with me always (I hope you don't mind sharing him).  He'll be with you always, of course.  Your relationship with him will continue -- his presence may not be physical, but he'll have a spiritual presence in your life forever.

There's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but please know that we're sending huge loads of strong vibes your way and many, many cyber-hugs to you, your husband, and the girls.

Run free, sweet Rupert.  You were truly a special and beloved boy.

• Gold Top Dog

(((((Jano & Family)))))

I was so crushed when I saw your post on FB about it being the worst day.  I absolutely didn't want to believe it.  I still don't.  Like he did w/ Tracy (and I'm sure MANY more people) he had RooRoo'd his way into my heart and was one of the iDogs that I felt somewhat bonded to, even though we'd never met in person.

He was an awesome dog and will be terribly missed.  My heart breaks, and even more for you and your family as you go through this.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks ladies. It has been so difficult.

@tacran

You've been in my thoughts and my heart ever since I read the post. When I told my husband last night, he was so saddened. I always showed him your pics, and when we see Vizslas, we always say, "There's a Rupert dog!" I will say that for the rest of my days, so in a way a part of Rupert will be with me always (I hope you don't mind sharing him).  

I don't mind at all. That's just how he was. He made such an impact on everyone he met. He was just irresistible. Everyone loved him.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh Jan - I am so unbelievably hugely sorry.  Billy, Foxy, Kee were all waiting -- in face just take a second to imagine how many from this group awaited him.  WHAT a play date they had later.

Sonja and Willa must also be devastated.  I am sending many hugs, and a shoulder always willing.  

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks Callie. There have been many of the "original" crew that have passed lately. It's hard for me to look at things with a positive light right now. In time I suppose.

The girls are sad, but not taking it nearly as bad as I thought. Kids just process things differently.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Sorry for your loss.

• Puppy

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye for now.

• Gold Top Dog

Jan..I don't come here anymore...its hard for me to get in here..but I am coming to tell you how sorry I am about Rupert.  I hope you can find peace in knowing he didn't have to suffer for a long time like so many of our fur babies do.  Love and hugs...Dyan